Purchased CEH Courseware, now how do I get rid of it?

<<

Carey74

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Purchased CEH Courseware, now how do I get rid of it?

I purchased the v4, courseware books & dvd's for just under $1200.  After spending a couple hours on it, I realized it's not for me.

My question is this, what can I do with it?  It's basically unused.  I'd like to get something out of it, but I don't know how to find a legitimate white hat buyer. 

Any ideas, comments or questions?

Thanks.

Mike 
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:33 pm

Re: Purchased CEH Courseware, now how do I get rid of it?

There's always ebay.  ;)

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for a refund or maybe an exchange for something that you might find is up your alley? From whom did you buy and what was it that cost $1200?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Carey74

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:04 am

There's always ebay
I thought about that.  But I want to insure it stays inside the white hat professional community.  I'd rather dump it in the trash, than have someone buy it on ebay then resell copies at $30 a set.

From whom did you buy and what was it that cost $1200?
I purchased it from QuickCert (http://www.quickcert.com/CEH.htm).  Included were 9 training cd's produced by Specialized Solutions, Inc., EC-Council's CEH Textbooks Volumes 1 & 2, EC-Council's Lab Manual, Linux OS CD, and CDs of tools that accompanied the Lab Manual.  Also included were a backpack and t-shirt, both of which have been commandeered by my wife.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for a refund or maybe an exchange for something that you might find is up your alley?
No I haven't.  I know I waited too long to get a refund and I really don't have the need to pursue any other certs.
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:12 pm

You may have a problem selling it, period, if you broke the Seal on it. Breaking the seal would, most likely, prevent you from returning it to where you bought it from. If you really want to dump it on eBay, you'll have to steal the backpack and t-shirt back from your wife. Maybe while she's asleep.  ;D

When your wife finds out what you spent on it, you'll hear about it again from her.  ::)
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

Carey74

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:52 pm

Breaking the seal would, most likely, prevent you from returning it
I did open the cd packets on the books, but there was no seal to break on the training cd's.

to where you bought it from
I bought it from this really wierd salesman who tried to act like my best friend, telling me about every relative and friend he has named Mike.  He then began to tell me about every person he's ever known from St Louis area.  I finally told him to shut up and sell me the CEH package.  I rather doubt he'll want to buy it back.  You see I have a father in law with narccistic personality disorder.  Besides looking forward to my own death, I also have a very short attention span for anyone that brown noses while asking me to pick up the soap.

If you really want to dump it on eBay, you'll have to steal the backpack and t-shirt back from your wife. Maybe while she's asleep.
Her laptop fits in it perfectly.  In the backpack that is. 

When your wife finds out what you spent on it, you'll hear about it again from her. 
I take it your a married man too.  Or a happy divorcee.  If I get 400 or 500 bucks out of it, I'm just going to dump it into a gun for an antelope hunt with my buddy out in Colorado.  That's were I'll end up "hearing about it again".
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:08 pm

Married? Me? Nope, been happily single my whole life.  ;D I have, however, had an Italian girlfriend best called "Queen b**ch of the Universe". Don't call her that to her face, though. We've been apart for the past 5yrs, and I could still hear her b**ch me out if I did what you did. When I was with her, I considered changing my name to "Whippy McWhipperson".

Sounds like you've got a little pickle, there. makes me kind of wonder if you purchased a LEGIT CEH courseware package. Is the outside box RED in color? I did the class in July 04 (almost 2 yrs ago now!) and the box (ver. 2.3) the books came in is the color of EC-Council, a bright red. My CDs that accompanied the courseware came in there own jewel cases. I got a CD of the courseware tools, and a bootable copy of Knoppix Linux. But I didn't get any backpack or t-shirt.  ;D

V.2.3 courseware contains: (2) RED 3-ring loose-leaf notebooks, w/ courseware on 3-ring punched paper, 2 CDs in Jewel cases, EC-Council notepad, EC-council RED pen, and paperback of "Hackers Beware", "Official Course Material"  by Eric Cole, written for NT4 platform. Instructor told us on 1st day of class this book is useless, but it still contains lots of valuable info for newbs just starting out; but it IS for NT4.   778pgs.

When I finally got my certificate 3 months later, they sent me the welcome pkg, consisting of the actual certificate, thank you/welcome letter, bumper sticker/window clingy, and business-card cd of bootable Linux.
Due to my complaining and phone calls about how long it takes to get the cert, they sent me a t-shirt (white Hanes, with Ec-council logo on the left, and CEH logo on the right), round playing cards, and two more window clingys. I really wanted the window clingys, cause I have the original one they sent me (folded) in my back windshield. White background, it will eventually fade w/ exposure to the Sun. Wanted to have a few backups.

Sorry to hear you're married. We all make mistakes, I guess. Time to show her who's in charge.  ;)

I made a mistake, too. I purchased the CEH courseware (v.2.3) from ec-council website by mistake. I thought I was purchasing a test voucher, but I was looking in the wrong spot. Purchased CEH courseware from ec-council website for$150.00(I think), looked into sending it back to Maylasia, where it shipped to me from; would have cost me more than I paid for it. Put it up on eBay, and some guy in TX bought it for $125. Oh well. Live and learn.

Don't know why it cost you as much as it did. Sorry to say, it sounds as if you got ripped off. :-[
Last edited by oyle on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

-Tapeworm
<<

Carey74

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Sorrounded by screaming kids and a crying baby.  Mr. Mom today, short reply here. 

This is what I purchased from QuickCert.com.
http://www.free-classified-ad.org/ceh.jpg
<<

oyle

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:06 pm

Ok, it looks legitimate. I suppose they could have changed it since I did it, it HAS been two years already.

Ya got me drooling over it, but if you were going to pay that much for it, you might have just as well done the class. The class when I did it was almost $3000, but I got a 30% discount for doing a free Microsoft security class first, taught by a snot-nosed kid half my age. But it was during that free Microsoft 1 day security seminar that this snot-nosed kid announced that the local New Horizons (where I go for all my computer classes) were going to have the CEH class. That's where I first heard about CEH, and I've been hooked ever since. I'm very proud to be a CEH, even if it already is kind of old.

re:screaming kids: Try and outscream them and maybe they'll shut up. but Maybe not. Can't give a lot of advice, don't have any kids, just peace and quiet.  ;D  Except for the WWE Smackdown on TV. That's a lotta noise, but it's fun.
--------------------

-Tapeworm
<<

Carey74

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:25 pm

Ya got me drooling over it
If you hang around long enough I may be giving it away. 

but if you were going to pay that much for it, you might have just as well done the class.
I almost did the class, but cancled because I had too much project work at the time.

I'm very proud to be a CEH, even if it already is kind of old.
I do contract remote web application development and saw potential in offering CEH services to health care providers on the grounds of risk management.  Rather than simply hire a CEH, I decided I'd try to learn it myself. 

Most medical practices are running scared under HIPPA regulations.  Penetration testing preformed by a CEH on a health care providers Practice Managment System, Network and etc. could be marketed to health care providers as extra "proof" that they took every reasonable and proper action to protect their data, should they be sued. 

My inital point of entry into the market would have been one of my old clients, a local dental technology provider.  He'd simply Sell the Penetration Testing to dental clinics as part of his annual mantenance packages.  "Every year your system should be tested..."  I think this could be carried over to other markets, although you'd have to locate a technology hardware or service provider with a good reputation.

I'm obviously not going to persue the CEH.  So if anyone else is intersted in doing this let me know.  I'll see if my local contact wants to work with someone from out of town.

Mike

Nothing is that which rocks dream about. - Aristotle
http://www.despair.com
<<

Carey74

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:48 pm

Married? Me? Nope, been happily single my whole life.  I have, however, had an Italian girlfriend best called "Queen b**ch of the Universe". Don't call her that to her face, though. We've been apart for the past 5yrs, and I could still hear her b**ch me out if I did what you did. When I was with her, I considered changing my name to "Whippy McWhipperson".
:) Been there.  Nothing like a good beating or being cheated on to send you off in the right direction.

Sorry to hear you're married. We all make mistakes, I guess.
I have lots of practice at making mistakes... just look at the subject of this thread!

Time to show her who's in charge. 
She's in health care.  She recently went independant and her bill rate is 200/hr, mine is 45/hr.  I now trying to make my breasts lactate so I can take care of the baby.  hardee har har...  Maybe I'll just wake up one day and find it was all a nightmare.

Mike 
<<

Kev

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:24 am

Dang and I thought all security dudes were so cool! Showing up at an audit wearing a tux and with 2 super models hanging on their arms. Having their martinis shaken not stirred. Oh well!  ;D
<<

Carey74

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 am

Sorry to break it to you, but the only super models I've been with were written in UML. 
<<

oyle

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:58 pm

Good idea, marketing pen testing to healthcare. I would assume that the HIPAA rules were so tight as they wouldn't want to mess with anything.

I'd be willing to give it a shot working with your friend doing that pen testing. Talk to him and let me know.

I'm somewhat involved in health care myself, but on the wrong end of it. I'm scheduled to have my last chemo treatment this Friday. Yay! ;D There is this "nurse" in oncology dept. I cannot STAND, and I'm not the only one that feels that way, either. But the rest of 'em are OK.

Had surgery last Nov. for a cancer, so I've been back and forth to the hospital ever since. The real drag about frickin' hospital is having to pay for parking everry time. But doctors and nurses don't get a break either, they have to pay for parking, too. So they tell me.

--------------------

-Tapeworm
<<

mctoffer

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:49 am

the pages of the CEH manual were poorly glued... next time, i hope eccouncil do the ring bind thing like microsft's MOC manuals....  :D
MCP, CCNA, CEH
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:01 pm

My CEH manuals (ver.2.5) are in 3-ring loose-leaf notebook format. Vinyl notebook, one seam on cover of notebook is splitting, one day cover of notebook will fall off. extreme care must be taken by me to preserve loose-leaf notebook as long as possible.
--------------------

-Tapeworm
Next

Return to General Certification