Training Question

<<

tntcoda

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Training Question

Hi guys,

I've had my eye on this course for too long now, and intend to have a crack at it in January. One question though, is the course something I can do 100% in my own time? Or will I need to be available at specific times for parts of the training?

Also is it formally still called OSCP? I remember hearing something about name changes to penetration testing with backtrack or something?

Thanks
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 am

Re: Training Question

Hi tntcoda ,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm just about positive that the class is done 100% on your own time. However what you pay for (Either 30 day lab access or 60 day lab access), relates to how much lab time you have to practice your skills you learn in the course. It was formerly known as Offensive Security 101 but is now called Penetration Testing with Back Track. I still call it OffSec 101, the certification still remains OSCP (Offensive-Security Certified Professional).

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

mambru

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:34 am

You can do it on your own pace, you watch the videos, read the manual and consult the "professors" in the irc channel whenever you want/can. But your 30 or 60 days of lab access start running the day you training starts.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:41 pm

I also want to take the course but after, I complete the CISSP.  I was wondering if I have to be an Assembly GURU to pass the course.  I have the two books (Hacking: The Art of Exploitation  2nd Edition) and (Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering).

I figured reading and understanding them would help me before I take the course.  But is it necessary? I am going to anyway since ultimately I wanted to become a researcher for discovering and breaking malware, especially the ones that create botnets.  ;D
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

mambru

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:10 am

You won't need assembly at all during the course, so don't worry you can go for it without mastering any programming language. Though that doesn't mean you won't need to program, but nothing to be afraid of.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 pm

I would concentrate more on a scripting language like Perl or Python.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

Darktaurus

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks for the replies.  I will be signing up at the end of January.  That should give me enough time to take care of the CISSP.  Oh yeah, I did want to say that was a great review for the OSCP.  Thanks again everyone.
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional