[Opinion] CEHv6 self-study material

<<

d3l0n

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:09 pm

[Opinion] CEHv6 self-study material

For those who took CEHv6, and used the self-study material do you think the review below is still valid for the current content?
Study Guide Content

Each of the books was quite thick, containing literally hundreds of pages. I was quite surprised at the amount of text I was to begin studying. It didn’t take me long to realize that these books were written extremely poorly. The CEH’s choice of actual modules was quite good, though I have issue with how the actual content of the modules was presented. The courseware books really came across as being more of a Teacher’s Guide than a self-study course. I say this because there would commonly be a PowerPoint slide on the top of a page, then an explanation written beneath each slide. I don’t so much have issue with that, though it also wasn’t uncommon for the explanation written beneath to be the exact text that just appeared in the above PowerPoint with nothing extra added. That didn’t seem to make much sense.

I found a number of core issues with the courseware books:

- Proofread: The books are in dire, dire need of being proofread.

- No Clear Flow: Technical information can be dry, but there is still a need to make the content readable in an attempt to at least be in somewhat of a story format. The content of the modules often didn’t have any logical flow, and often an area would be covered to what you believe to be completion, then an item relating to that area would appear seemingly out-of-turn later in the module.

- Overwhelmed with Tools: Without question, it is important to be familiar with the various hacking tools that are available; that is pretty much the point of this course. That notwithstanding, tool after tool is literally dumped on the reader, without context of why you would want to use one tool over another. The tools were not logically grouped within each module, either, so it was difficult to have comprehension of the purpose of the tools after reading the module. Also, there’s more to hacking than just knowing the tools. The tool’s use needs to be put into context with an example of when the tool should be utilized. This was not adequately done in the courseware material. I actually went back to count the various tools that were discussed, and unofficially the count was over 250. I didn’t have the heart to actually go back and count each and every one for an exact number. Personally, I think that number could have been drastically reduced with more emphasis on select tools, their use and the situations in which you would want to use that tool. Instead, the reader is just literally dumped with brief explanations of hundreds of tools.

- Choppy: Reading the material felt like reading thousands of individual pages - not thought-out and modules had no flow to them. I actually told my boss that in reading this material, that I truly felt the authors had Attention Deficit Disorder with poor grammar skills.
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/54/24/
<<

venom77

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 am

Re: [Opinion] CEHv6 self-study material

The review is probably based off v3 or v4. In v5, the material changed significantly. It was much better. I have not seen v6 so I can't speak for that one. I'm certain that there are still some similarities - lots of tools, lots of slides, etc. but the content has greatly improved. If you're looking to save some money, you could try purchasing the 5-book EC-Council Press CEH series of books.
<<

d3l0n

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks BillV for the info.

I saw the 5-book series, but I did not think of it seriously for different reasons. One it does not have the tools included. Second it did not look like it's covering the optional topics in addition to the required ones. I'm thinking of something that I can use as a reference. If you have to choose between the two which one you will pick?
<<

impelse

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 pm

I am thinking the buy the official material just to make sure about the information, Also I saw in Amazon some books that will be available next January for the V6.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

d3l0n

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm

I think the v6 is available (Sep 2009 books) because v5 expired in June 2009.
<<

impelse

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:04 pm

I am talking about others resources than the eccounsil
CCNA Security

<<

d3l0n

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:22 pm

I see, sorry. :)
<<

impelse

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm

It's ok, we all have the same problem because the eccouncil material is a little pricy.
CCNA Security

<<

Fr0z3n

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Folks,

I recently produced the CEH v6 CBT Endorsed by EC Council video series (CEH, CHFI and ECSA / LPT)

I can offer you guys some really good deals because I was the Author.

The CEH CBT has a total of 37 hours of video 50% theory and 50% hands-on.

We offer a complete LMS, remote attack lab to enhance the standard material.  :)

Regards,

Wayne
<<

impelse

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Can you put the website link?
CCNA Security

<<

Fr0z3n

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Sorry folks, (minimal sleep)  ???

Here is a link to register.

http://www.sequrit.org/hakin9/

Please add a note that you request info from Wayne as per Ethical Hacker.net

Regards,

Wayne
<<

impelse

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:46 pm

I just chated with somedoy that told me they have a good deal monthly
CCNA Security

<<

venom77

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 am

d3l0n, I apologize for not responding sooner - I have been sick with the flu since Saturday :(

As for your concern about the EC-Council Press series... Each book contains a code that will give you access to an online student portal. I believe that you are able to download the tools from this web portal. There should also be hands-on labs and other goodies that are included. Last I checked, it was not ready yet (but I don't know the link off-hand).

The books do not cover many of the self-study modules that are included in the official v6 courseware. They adequately cover the material needed for the exam.

When I get home, I'll check the link for the student portal. I believe there is an email address to contact someone about it. I'll see what information I can find out.
<<

d3l0n

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Thank you Fr0z3n, I will check it out.

Bill thanks for getting back to me, I hope you feel better now. I have the flu also but today I feel much better than few days ago.

I've purchased some of the EC-Council Press books, and I was about to post about what I found.

I liked how the books are ordered, brief explanation of the concept, tools used, questions and answers, and finally hands-on training, that requires as you said access code. I used the access code to get to the students resources, but I was disappointed as it does not include most of the tools/materials mentioned in the training. I'm not sure whom to contact in this regard. I tried to call EC-Council office in US but the number listed is NOT working. ???
<<

impelse

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:26 pm

Do you considere that the books are right for the CEH?
CCNA Security

Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker