128 bit Hard drive encryption

<<

dfcrackhead

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:02 pm

128 bit Hard drive encryption

I need to format a drive, unfortunately it has a phase 3 128 bit encryption on it and won't let me format. I'm VERY new to this whole hacking thing, but if I can do this a friend of mine has promised me a job in his company and I figure if I can learn this I can learn just about anything. So help is very much appreciated, thanks.
<<

mambru

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 am

Re: 128 bit Hard drive encryption

It's no clear to mean what you mean with "phase 3" and what you exactly want to achieve. If you want to format the drive and destroy all data on it, I don't see a problem, how are you trying to do it? Or what are the rules of the game? On the other hand, if what you're trying to do is recover the encryption key, then you'll have to invest a lot of time (and may not be successful), since you'll have to try to find a side-channel attack or some bug int the implementation of the cipher (finding theoretically a weakness in the cipher requires a lot, specially without the proper knowledge and experience)
<<

dfcrackhead

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:07 am

mambru wrote:It's no clear to mean what you mean with "phase 3" and what you exactly want to achieve. If you want to format the drive and destroy all data on it, I don't see a problem, how are you trying to do it? Or what are the rules of the game? On the other hand, if what you're trying to do is recover the encryption key, then you'll have to invest a lot of time (and may not be successful), since you'll have to try to find a side-channel attack or some bug int the implementation of the cipher (finding theoretically a weakness in the cipher requires a lot, specially without the proper knowledge and experience)

I just want to completely wipe the drive, but the way it is encrypted the drive crashes whenever you try to format, I need a way to bypass that
<<

twister

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:39 am

dfcrackhead wrote:I just want to completely wipe the drive, but the way it is encrypted the drive crashes whenever you try to format, I need a way to bypass that

What do you mean by the words "the drive crashes" ?
And what method have you tried for formatting? I mean, have you tried several ways of formatting or just stick to the one ?
And what is "phase 3" ?  :)
<<

dfcrackhead

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:52 am

Truthfully dude, I have no idea, my friend just described his problem to me, I haven't been able to touch the damn drive....But I plan on getting it from him and working on it myself just to see what I can do and I'm just looking for tips and stuff to help me along. What would you do if you had an encrypted drive that wouldn't format?
<<

twister

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:20 am

Here is the discussion about that question: Format an encrypted drive
From that discussion i would say, that, first of all, determine how and where the encryption is implemented. Actually, i think that's the key point, as you'll know then what you are dealing with and what kind of tools you need to bypass the security. Can't tell more precisely, as I don't know the situation. 

BTW, is the drive internal or external ?
<<

dfcrackhead

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm not too sure, if I can get my hands on it, I'll be sure to let you know and thanks for the help so far. I'm new at this whole thing so I'm glad to find people are willing to help
<<

timmedin

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 pm

As long as it is software encryption...
1) fdisk
2) format
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com

Return to Hardware