External Hadr Drive problem

<<

twister

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:28 pm

External Hadr Drive problem

So the situation is as follows:

I have an external Hard Drive. The one, which is powered only from USB. It's difficult to tell the model, as it was bought from the Internet as Western Digital 500GB, but when delivered it turned out to be fake ( well it was suprisingly cheap, and should've read the description more carefully). However it worked fine, so it wasn't really a problem. Two weeks ago it suffered an airplane transportation ( i say suffered, because it was transported in the luggage , somewhere in the bottom of the bag), and after that it doesn't mount in to OS.
When plugged in,  it starts working, so the power is supplied, but the OS doesn't react. Tried using different cords, the effect is identical. Also tried on Windows Vista, and then tried manually mounting the drive on PC-BSD OS. Both systems couldn't detect it. Other drives mount normally.

I suppose, that it's not really possible to make it work normally.  ???
Are there may be ways to, at least, extract the data from it ?
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: External Hadr Drive problem

Take the drive out of the case.  Try using an ATA/SATA to USB adapter and see if you the OS sees the drive. 

If that doesn't work, it could be a number of issues with the drive itself.  If the drive is not making any unusual noises, like clicking, then it could be a firmware or ROM issue.  Otherwise, it's something mechanical or electrical.  Either way, you would need to send to a DR shop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

3PIL0GU3

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 am

Apparently sometimes if you put the drive in an airtight bag in the freezer for a day or so that can help by contracting the internal components wiorth a try
----------------------------
CEH
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 am

That absolutely does work from time to time for mechanical problems.  I've saved at least 3 or 4 drives using that method.  It won't do anything for firmware or electrical issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

unsupported

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 am

I've heard this method referenced on this board and in the SANS Advisory Board list and have a question.  If putting a drive in the freezer would you want to use silica gel packs?
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:11 pm

I've never used silica gel packs.  What I do is use an anti-static bag that can be sealed.  I then use a straw to remove the air from the bag as much as possible.  You only need about 5 to 10 mins in the fridge. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

unsupported

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks for the insight.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

twister

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:27 am

Thank you all for your response  :).
I was already going to use ATA/SATA adapter to test the drive, and then was going to put it in the freezer, but apparently he got scared of that and started working  ;D.
magic :o.

But that freezer thing is, actually, interesting. Never heard of that before. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by twister on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 am

I tried it some time ago as well and it worked here too - though I would recommend once it is running again to backup the files somewhere else and use the previously damaged hdd no longer.
<<

twister

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 am

awesec wrote:I tried it some time ago as well

Sorry, probably because of my bad English, you understood that I did put it in the freezer, but actually I didn't. I wanted to, but the drive started working by itself.
Still, big thanks for a great advice, it is still usefull, as I'm not sure that it won't happen again. So i think i'll follow it.  ::)

Return to Hardware