Some Questions Encountered - CPTS

<<

Dengar13

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:16 pm

Some Questions Encountered - CPTS

My buddy just recently took the CPTS exam cold (did not attend the class) and received a 73% and needed an 80%, not too shabby for not attending the training.  He said some questions were:

What port does 007shell use?

What is the exact syntax to execute netcat on port 777 using UDP and executing cmd.exe?

Or they tell you that from a packet capture you determine that a server's IP headers are 20 bytes and its data grams are 84 bytes.  Is it Windows 2000, NT, 98 or Linux?

They show you a dump of a TCP header and ask you if it is ipv4 or ipv6.

I will try to pick his brain and see if I can get more.  i would love to get some practice questions for this since it seems very hard to find any info regarding this.  All i can say is that I am very motivated to attend this class and can't wait to share my experiences.  I wold imagine that it is similar to CEH but more updated in content.  I am going to re-read Hacking Exposed, 5th edition and this Pen-Testing book I bought for my company.  PCSneaker said it was SQL heavy when he took the beta exam so I will definitely have to bone up on that.  Hopefully this will spark something up in terms of discussion.   ;D

Don....just read the sticky for this part of the forum and apologize for posting it in the worng spot, feel free to move this to the appropriate part of the forum. 
Last edited by Dengar13 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

pcsneaker

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 am

Re: Some Questions Encountered - CPTS

What port does 007shell use?

007shell doesn't use any port, it uses icmp echo replys.

What is the exact syntax to execute netcat on port 777 using UDP and executing cmd.exe?

nc -u -l -p 777 -e cmd.exe

Or they tell you that from a packet capture you determine that a server's IP headers are 20 bytes and its data grams are 84 bytes.  Is it Windows 2000, NT, 98 or Linux?

The IP header is always 20 Byte, regardless if it's Windows or Linux, so that doesn't help to determine what operating system is sending that packet. A typical use for a datagram with 84 Bytes is an ICMP echo packet in Linux (20 Byte IP-Header+8 Byte ICMP-Header+ 56 Bytes ICMP Data) whereas a Windows ICMP echo packet is 60 Bytes in length.

They show you a dump of a TCP header and ask you if it is ipv4 or ipv6.

A TCP header is not different in IPv4 or IPv6, so with just a TCP header one can not differenciate between IPv4 and IPv6. In an IP header the first 4 Bits are the version field (4 in IPv4 and 6 in IPv6) so you can easily spot the version (and the IPv4 header is only 20 Bytes in contrast to 40 Byte for the IPv6 main header).
MCSA:Security (W2k, W2k3)
MCSE:Security (W2k, W2k3)
CPTS, Network+
<<

oyle

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Y'know, in an "ethical" envbironment, discussing test questions not a cool thing to do. They may not be actual test questions word-for-word, but just to remind you guys. I know this is a learning website, but just keep it in the backs of your minds.......

Not trying to be the Test Police, just trying to stay "Ethical".
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:15 am

Sorry everyone...  :-[
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:25 am

I had no problem with your post. They seemed general enough. Plus, the exam is multiple choice, and you didn't the 4 or so answers that may come with the questions. It appeared to be more of a discussion of a topic rather than a specific exam question.

No worries,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:06 pm

OK!  ;D  Good enogh for Don, good enough for me!!!

'Nuff said.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:21 am

i recently took and passed my CPTS exam, those are pretty close to the questions i saw as well.  i took several covert channel questions as well.  i did self study and did not take a class.  over all i felt the test was better than the CEH test (i took and passed v3 exam) being, in general, more concept oriented instead of tool oriented.  which is a good thing IMO.
Last edited by LSOChris on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to CPTE - Certified Penetration Testing Engineer