[Article]-Review: Penetration Testing with BackTrack by Offensive Security Part 4

<<

caissyd

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 am

Re: [Article]-Review: Penetration Testing with BackTrack by Offensive Security Part 4

Hey,

Dark_Knight, it seems I am following the same path as you. I did GSEC than CEH. I just registered for OSCP (I start this Sunday). Then, I was going to go for GPEN or OSCE...

Anyway, since this thread is about the OSCP cert, here is my question. I already know most of the tools/scripting languages of the course, so is it possible to complete ALL exercises in 60 days? I really, really want to get the most out of the course... Also, I am planning to spend an average of 2 hours a day.

I know it depends a lot on my current knowledge, but I just want to know if you guys think it is possible to complete all exercises in 60 days (or even 30 days!).

Thanks
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:32 am

Re: [Article]-Review: Penetration Testing with BackTrack by Offensive Security Part 4

I haven't taken the course myself, but know a few people who did. Most told me, that if you have already some knowledge and enough time to spend, 30 days are enough.  60 days are more comfortable if you can't spend every day on studying or only have limited time each day - there is no need to rush anything as you have twice as much time.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 am

H1tM0nk3y...

If you truly have the time to commit 2 hours per day, then from my experience, you could likely get through it in the 30-day window.  When I talk about 60-day, for myself, it's solely because I have an extremely loaded work schedule, as well as a handful of kids, so my time is often limited and sporadic.  So I just want to pad it for myself.

But I think if you have a good grasp on the scripting, etc, and are willing to give plenty of time in a day, you could take the shorter.  (Besides, I think it's only an extra $50, if you end up adding an extra 30-days later on, rather than just scheduling it up front; right?  So worst case, if you want to try to save the money up front, you're only out the extra $50 if you end up adding the extra time.  But if you finish in 30-days, then you've saved yourself $150...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks Hayabusa and Awesec,

I already paid for 60 days... As I was saying, I was worried about not being able to finish all exercises in 60 days.

Thanks guys,

PS: Hayabusa, I had a ZX-10R up to last year...
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Have fun with the course. Let us know when you have finished it. ;)
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm

H1t M0nk3y wrote:PS: Hayabusa, I had a ZX-10R up to last year...

If it's any consolation, I HAVE a Hayabusa, which I'm going to be selling, in a couple of months...  2005, with only a little over 2k miles on it...  work just been way too busy the past few years, and need time and money for family.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:04 pm

I HAVE a Hayabusa, which I'm going to be selling, in a couple of months...

I spent the last 2 years only going on race tracks. I stopped when I looked at my credit cards...  :o
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

apollo

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Sorry for the delay in joining in.  If you know your stuff, you can ace this stuff in 60 days, and be pretty good in 30 days.  I only used 20 days of lab time before I took the test, and that was with spending a good amount of time on some of the bonus content of the course.  I finished the exercises themselves in the first 2 weeks, and had most of the extra credit points within a day or two after finishing the content of the course.  I would say that if you are strong with scripting, networking, linux and have some general understanding of basic exploitation then 60 days will be way more than what you need.  If any of those are weaker, 60 days will probably be sufficient.

Hope this helps,
Ryan
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
Previous

Return to Linn