hacking tools untraceable?

<<

tim987

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:46 am

hacking tools untraceable?

I would like to know, if someone hacked me using a hacking tool, would i be able to see the hacking tool's ip address or do hacking tools have built-in TOR or use no log Vpn?
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:11 am

Re: hacking tools untraceable?

You could potentially backtrack the IP address used.  IF the person that did the hack was smart, then he routed it through a tor to be on the safe side.  You may not get what you are looking for going that route.  I would suggest contacting your ISP since most have a policy against even doing a port scan and have them investigate.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

rahulr

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:16 am

how can i potential trace back an IP , if i happen to know a particular IP (my frnds)
i tried using the email headers , but  wat i observed was when a mail is sent from gmail to gmail . the google mail sever actually uses a virtual PVN and the client IP is replaced by the Google IP (or watever it technically stands for) .

IS there any hacktool that i can pin point trace a person who has sent me a mail.. ?
<<

timmedin

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Email messages contain the IP addresses of the SMTP servers the message traverses. However, with gmail, the message is sent via a web server so the end user's IP address is not in the message header. If the message was initiated from an SMTP server there is a possibility of tracing it back. The headers in an email can be forged so you can't totally trust them.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:37 pm

As far as email goes, you could try having a read response sent to you.  Of course that does ask before sending a reply though.  There are ways around that like the service provided by readreply.com. 
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

rahulr

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:51 am

So apparently there is no way a person can be found precisely even if i get to know his IP ?
i am astounded actually if thats true , cuz i have herd many news stories on how people have been traced ..
Is there any tools from which i can figure out this ?
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:48 am

You can trace but you are going to get an geographic area.  Those traced are thraced with the assistence of the ISP.  The ISP handles the allocation of IP addresses and "knows" who has what address.  If it is a customer of theirs, they know who that customer is and probably have a mailing address for the person.  IF you have the IP address, you can use a utility like visual trace rout to see about where the address is.  You will definitely get a country and may get it narrowed down by as much as a state or even city. 
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH

Return to Tools