windows penetration testing

<<

bsrulez

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:08 pm

windows penetration testing

hello everyone.

just joined. my expectation with this site is to get more help on security related tasks I perform!

i am trying do penetration testing on windows OS. can anyone give me some suggestions on how to start penetration testing? where do i get a documentation on step-by-step approach for penetration testing on windows? what are the best tools to use? are there any recommended procedure to conduct this? i am planning to use metasploit and backtrack for this..

has anyone got experience in windows penetration testing

thanks everyone!
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: windows penetration testing

Welcome to the forums. 

You are asking a loaded question.  Each situation is going to be unique.  You also need to have a good base understanding of all the relevant subjects.  If you search this forum, you will find a ton of links to various book, online articles, challenges, etc that will get you started.

I like this pen testing framework:

http://www.vulnerabilityassessment.co.uk/Penetration%20Test.html

It offers a very good guideline and even links you to some of the tools that can be used to audit the relevant devices you will find. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Get thomas wilhelm's book Professional Penetration Testing. I just received my copy yesterday and while the first couple of chapters haven't taught me anything yet I think the book would of been awesome when I first started out.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 am

Welcome to EH-Net.
I would also suggest to take your time and browse through the forums on EH-Net, as many people have already asked the same or very similar questions as yours. If you have then any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker