Looking for some input on some donated goodies

<<

vdubhack

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:59 am

Looking for some input on some donated goodies

I was wondering if any and all of you out there would help give me your ideas as to ways I can use this hardware I was given to help build a home pentest lab. I am just getting into everything and was looking to put this hardware to use plus as well do some VM setups. Basically just looking for input on what OS's or how I should configure things to help build a variety of scenarios. I also would like to keep this seperate from the rest of my home network and make it as secure as possible. Feel free to ask anything else you would need to know. I do of course plan to max out the Ram for all the systems that are worth it.

I will be using a laptop with wireless capabilites as the attach computer all that I post below I would like to encorporate in some way if possible. Thanks for your time and effort in helping me mash out some solid ideas. These specs are what I have been able to dig up so far on these machines I am sure it is not complete but should give you a good idea, and yes I realise some of this stuff is old.

Goodie list:
Serv 1:
2gb ram max, Pentium 4 1.6 x86, Asus p4s333-vm motherboard 478 socket

Serv 2:
Dell Power Edge 1750, Dual Zeon 2.4, 1gb installed 8gb max

Serv 3:
Dual Pentium 3 800mhz,  1.7gb ram,

Serv 4:
Compaq Proliant ML530, Dual Pentium 3 Xeon 1ghz, 4gb max ram, 133 mhz bus ServerWorks ServerSet III LE (RCC Champion 3.0 LE)

TServ 1:
Gateway ALR 7200, Pentium 3 500mhz, 600kb rma

Tserv 2:
Dell PowerEdge 2200/333, 640k ram, Dual pentium 2 333mhz

Desktop 1:
Compaq, Pentium 3 1.0,  256mb ram, 16mb video

Other things:
3com 3C857 cable/dsl gateway
Bay Networks BayStack instant internet 400
3com TP/12 hub 3C16170
Dell Power Vault 705n
Compaq 8 port KVM
Linksys routers: BEFSX41, BEFW11S4 V.2
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Looking for some input on some donated goodies

Welcome to the site, gotta say I'm jealous looking at that hardware list.

My main suggestion would be to max srv 2's RAM to the full 8GB and install ESXi. I run my home lab on a single box of similar specs and it handles my needs without issue.

Check through the forum archives on the site for past discussions on home lab setups, plenty of advice and good links to keep you going for a while. I also blog about my ongoing work with my lab, relevant posts can be found under the lab tag.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
<<

vdubhack

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Andrew, thanks for the tip on what to do with one of my servers. I am also reading through your blog and the relevant lab info. I have been reading for a bit before I posted what I had received. I guess I am mostly trying to figure what I can do with the older machines. Should I just throw older server OS's on them or whatever I can get to install? I also checked out ESXi and will be downloading that and playing around with it. The diagrams you have of how you have things laid out helped me a bunch. I like to look at things like that along with explanations of what is going on helps it sink in easier for me. Now back to reading more and trying to come up with a good layout. Thanks for the welcome
<<

vdubhack

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:10 am

Would this diagram I made be a good start and example of how I should seperate my test lab from the rest of my network? I just am looking to make sure I am grasping how to seperate everthing properly using a combo VM and hardware lab. Let me know if there is any other info you would need to help better answer this. Thanks a ton for everything

Return to Network Pen Testing