solution against vulnerability

<<

manju_salian

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:00 pm

solution against vulnerability

Hi,
I am facing challenges towards the vulnerability assessment. Most of the laptops which were not present in SNX since last few months are getting connected without any intimation to IT guys.They get the IP address as becos we have Radius implemented network. The only way i come to know thru vulnerability scanner.
Can any one suggest the solution in such way the machine which is vulnerable should not get connected to network until the system is patched. We have windows 2003 & 2008 AD infrastructure and Cicso devices for networks.
Kindly suggest any suitable solutions.

Thanks
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:13 am

Re: solution against vulnerability

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you can think about using DHCP snooping and/or Port Security on the Cisco switches.  It will not let you identify machines that are not patched, but it could force rogue laptop owners to have to check in with IT before being allowed to plug their devices in.  This will create a headache to maintain.

I know there is VPN software that will prevent users from connecting without a certain patch level and security software in place.  I would be curious to see if there is a LAN version of the same. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:33 pm

What client OS(es) are you using? You can use NPS and 802.1x with Server 2008 and Vista (or better): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 3354(WS.10).aspx
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:03 am

Look at the Forfront Security Center from MS if you are looking to stick with an all MS solution.  It can do the checking when a system logs in and send it to a remediation server if it finds patches missing.

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/en/us/default.aspx
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH

Return to Other