Standing on the Edge!

<<

balasurfs

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 am

Standing on the Edge!

Dear all,
      It's a great pleasure to be here with lots of computer professionals. Let me introduce myslf, I am Bala from India. I am working as a network administrator in a small firm. My nature of job is to attend client calls, we have a small network setup to which i am the admin. We also have one EPBX. I am slowly learning it.

On the other side, i always love programming. I started designing small websites using HTML initially, then started using php with MySQL, various php CMS. Now grinding on Rails. I started studying C++ as a hobby, i started liking it. At present whenever i find free time, i learn FLTK( a GUI programming ) OpenGL..

This is my first company, i have been with this company for 2 years, doing the same job. I think i made a great mistake. Don't Know. I decided my career to be in Information Security / Computer Network Security. I need a good Roadmap and a Mentor. I know nobody guides you till the end. Atleast i want someone to show me the Path.

Do i have to start with CCNA , CCNA security, Juniper firewalls, .... or should i learn Linux Server (RHCE), CEH, ?? will Learning CEH make me a hacker ?? Who is network Programmer ???  what should i do?? Do i have to learn the whole RFC to be a security Profession ?? where do i learn the basics right ?? Please , i have asked this question in many forums, not even a single forum was able to help me out.

Thanks,
Bala

<<

UNIX

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:53 am

Re: Standing on the Edge!

Hello Bala and welcome to the forums.

Many questions where the only person able to answer them is yourself. I will try to answer a few of them though. ;)

Do i have to start with CCNA , CCNA security, Juniper firewalls, .... or should i learn Linux Server (RHCE), CEH, ??

You should learn what interests you most. The certificates you mentioned are all good in some way, however, it really depends on where you want to go. CCNA and CCNA security are certainly good, especially if you want to learn the network basics and work in the CISCO field. As you are already working as a network administrator, I assume that you should have already a fair amount of knowledge in this area, so those certs might not be too hard to get.
Another cert which you might want to look at is Security+ by CompTia which is vendor-independent. There you will also learn many security basics which might interest you.

will Learning CEH make me a hacker ??

Certainly not. I am doing CEH currently myself and enjoy it, though you won't become a hacker after it. It is just something else which will teach you security stuff, but to become a professional hacker (someone who is earning (legal) money with it) much more is needed.
Going through the CEH materials should add some more knowledge to yourself and may open some other doors for you, so if you have the possibilities to go for it, do it. ;)

Do i have to learn the whole RFC to be a security Profession ??

I couldn't imagine why someone would like to learn all RFCs. ;)

I would recommend you to browse through this forum which is an excellent resource. Many advices were already given, good recommendations given (e.g. books), etc., so take you time.
Good Luck.
Last edited by UNIX on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

balasurfs

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:15 am

Thanks a lot. As you said it all depends on me. I will design the road map.. Please rate this..

1. LAN / WAN  technologies
2. Routing Basics
3. WAN routing, Internet Cloud
4. How Ethernet works
5. IP Packets in detail.
6. RFC on IP, TCP/IP, UDP
7. Working with Wireshark - Tracing Packets and understanding it
8. Firewalls - Juniper / CISCO / Linux IP Tables
9. VLAN concept
10.VPN Techniques
11.Setting up VPN
12.Tunnelling
13.packet encryption...

This is what i call a road map. I don't know how many Certs are covered here... Tell me if i can follow this road map.. :)
<<

mambru

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:55 am

Hi Bala,

most of the topics you include in your roadmap are mainly related to networking, so you could cover most of them through CCNA.

Something that caught my attention is that you emphasize on RFC's, and as awesec said, I don't see why learning them. You will see that RFC's are interpreted and implemented in different ways by different vendors, then what you should do is understand the working of the protocols.

Good luck
<<

rattis

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 am

Bala,
Don't be afraid to read. If you want to get a quick intro to computer security, and what it mean to be an Ethical Hacker, I'd suggest hacking for dummies. A new edition is due out in December. After that I'd look into some other security related books. As for your road map...

balasurfs wrote:1. LAN / WAN  technologies
2. Routing Basics
3. WAN routing, Internet Cloud
4. How Ethernet works
5. IP Packets in detail.
6. RFC on IP, TCP/IP, UDP
7. Working with Wireshark - Tracing Packets and understanding it
8. Firewalls - Juniper / CISCO / Linux IP Tables
9. VLAN concept
10.VPN Techniques
11.Setting up VPN
12.Tunnelling
13.packet encryption...

The way I'd do it, 1, 5 and 7 together, 4, 2 and 3 together, 6, 13, 12, 9, 10, 11. Skip 6 except for the overviews if you want, and RFC 1918 only to the point where you know what addresses are reserved.

As Awesec and Mambru have said, most of this would be covered by studying for the CCNA. Also don't expect a cert to mean you're qualified for a job.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

best.pal

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi Bala and welcome to the forums..!!
well i second the awesec's thoughts that CEH is not the whole "thing" to become a hacker (legal), it requires a lot... i also agree with the fact that security+ by comptia is a good start and ya chrisj is also correct when he said to have a look on hacking for dummies book...
i would have preferred the route like: ccna (or network+ by comptia) --> security+ --> and then CEH... jumping into a certification like CEH is not a good idea until you have some fair knowledge about networking. and ya linux knowledge is also good to have, as most cool tools are written for linux...
chart your best route which compliments your career goals and your passion for technology....

i would also comment the same thing: don't expect a cert to mean you're qualified for a job..!! It requires a lot..!!

last but not the least browse this forum, it is full of excellent resources and information... and of course with people who are willing to help.. :)

PS: and ya am also from the same place.
<<

balasurfs

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 am

Thanks for all your Guidelines.. Still i need to grind around to see which suites me well.

Return to Career Central