Got IP Address of Hacker, Now What?

<<

Doyle

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 am

Got IP Address of Hacker, Now What?

Hello everyone.  So I have LogMeIn to access my work computer from home and somehow someone got the login and password of it and also the login/password of my computer at work.  They accessed my work computer from LogMeIn and tried to access some payroll files.  I got the persons IP address and have somewhat of an idea who it was, but cannot prove it.  What can I do with this IP address in order to know for sure whether or not it was the person I believe did this?
Last edited by Doyle on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

blackazarro

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Got IP Address of Hacker, Now What?

If it's a public IP address you can do a whois on it in order to find out the ISP that owns the IP. After obtaining this info you need to contact the ISP, however, you will probably need to provide a subpoena if you want to find out the person that used the IP at the specified date/time that the person logged onto your work computer.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:20 pm

If you need some contact information for the appropriate contact at the ISP to receive the subpoena, you can use the following URL:

http://www.search.org/programs/hightech/isp/default.asp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

former33t

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:25 pm

To add to the above, you will likely not be able to get a subpoena without involvement of your legal counsel (or law enforcement).  In my experience, law enforcement will not get involved unless there are threats of bodily injury or you can demonstrate substantial financial loss.

If you do not pursue the criminal aspect, there are still civil remedies for losses suffered.  You will need your legal counsel to get a subpoena then (through the courts).  You have a limited time to act as most ISP's only keep IP/username correlations information for 30 days.

Good luck.  This is not something that is easily done by non-professionals.  You have a tough road ahead.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

carboncopy

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:37 am

<<

nightmare44

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:51 am

Not to mention if he/she hopped through proxies...

Return to Other