Stolen Laptop

<<

detsoxfan

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Stolen Laptop

My laptop was stolen.  I have the MAC address of the laptop.  Is there a way to quary the internet for the MAC address for when it is online then get the IP of where it is located? >:(
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Stolen Laptop

Kind of a needle in the haystack kind of scenario.  Sorry to say it, but unless you installed some phone home sort of software on that guy, may as well write it off.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:40 pm

I am sorry that your laptop was stolen.  I feel for you.  There are services that will let you track your laptop if it gets stolen.   Unfortunately, you have to install a client on the laptop before that happens.   This is one example:

http://preyproject.com/

It would be difficult at best to track a MAC address over the Internet.  Internet routers replace the source and destination MAC address on each packet as they route it.   I don't believe that ISPs track this information either.  I also doubt that your browser reveals this data, since it would be useless.

You really need an app that can check in from time to time to be able to track a laptop.   I am just not aware of any other method.  I am hoping that I am wrong though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Ignatius

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:45 pm

It's not all that difficult to spoof a MAC address or the LAN card might have been changed.  I'd agree that tracing it is a non-starter.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 am

I too would say that your chances of tracing your machine back through Internet/ MAC address are non-existing in this scenario. Too many factors and technologies are involved which are playing "against" you.

Return to Forensics