Base 64 Encoded Value - AFCEH Question

<<

morpheus063

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:58 pm

Base 64 Encoded Value - AFCEH Question

Hi Friends,

I am posting more questions that I have faced during my AFCEH course. Please discuss the same. The next question is:

What is the Base64 Encoded value of the text Hello Ankit?

1. SGVsbG8gQW5raXQ=
2. DLUdcU4hXL3shTS=
3. MXAtbW9iYU5raXT=
4. PMBrgT5hZA1abPW=
5. None of the above.

Regards,

The Morpheus
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Dengar13

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Re: Base 64 Encoded Value - AFCEH Question

What do you think the answer is?
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:24 pm

I agree with Dengar13. We will help, but I don't think giving the answer helps you understand. If you were to offer up your answer and the reasoning behind it, I think most would be more than willing to offer up their own thoughts.

Give and take...

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

pcsneaker

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:21 am

Has anybody of you heard about that "renowned computer security expert Ankit Fadia" ?
I don't know who Ankit Fadia is but I'm wondering why somebody should be able to en/decode base64 without using an En/Decoder - so what sense does it make to include such a question in a test ?
MCSA:Security (W2k, W2k3)
MCSE:Security (W2k, W2k3)
CPTS, Network+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:20 am

He probably has a much experience as any other instructor. He's also written several books. So his credentials seem as good as any other person.

On the other hand, he seems to have quite the problem with humility. If you go to the link that Morpheus posted on the cert he's trying to attain, it's named after Ankit. Now there's also a required question with his name encoded?  ???

HMMMM?!?!

Don
<<

pcsneaker

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:42 pm

I didn't have the intention to doubt the credentials of this guy in any way.

I'm just wondering about the questions related to that cert that have been posted here. All of these questions (or better the proposed answers) seems to be really odd, so imho the value of that cert seems to be at least shady.

But thats only my opinion and is just based on the questions I've read - so thats what lead me to the question if somebody of you knows more about that guy and that cert.

But no offense intended, I'm just trying to get a bit more information !
CPTS, Network+
<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Everybody,

Ok Let me throw some lights regarding Ankit Fadia and about his course and about why I am or we are doing it.

Ankit Fadia is a well known IT Security Expert from India. He is now only 21 years. When he was 15 or 16, he helped CIA in decrypting some codes sent by Osama Bin Laden. Since then, he works as a free lance IT security consultants to CIA also. We wrote so many books, at the age of 16 or 17. You can have a look at his resume http://www.sis.smu.edu.sg/news_events/news/detailedprofile.pdf. He is also working as security consultants to various IT Giants like Wipro, Infosys etc and owns a Security Consulting firm at Malaysia. Works with Government agencies also for forensic cases.

Even though there are so many courses available in the IT Security industry, here in India, no special security training is available except for MCSE (Security) and CCSP.  CEH is only getting famous here and so he started this Initiative to build a community of Ethical Hackers.

Regarding the course coverage and the standard, he has clearly given in the site, what he will be covering in the course. The course is of duration one month, in which he will be taking the classes through Video Conferencing (2 sessions) at certain business centres. The rest sessions are CBT (like learnkey and CBTNuggets) which can be accessed via the Study Centre only. The course fee is only around 112 Dollars. (Indian Rupees 5000). So whoever is interested in the first steps of security took this course. I am not saying that this course is a very good one or the only course avaialble in India, but in my point, knowledge is power and its always good.

Regarding the questions I posted, its not for my home work or submitting my assignments. The course is already over and I am just discussing the same with you so that I can get all the expert advices.

Regards,

The Morpheus
Manu Zacharia

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:45 pm

Security training of any kind is better than ignorance. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - Paste Answer #1 into the form at:

http://www.securitystats.com/tools/base64.php

Don
<<

pcsneaker

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:12 am

I finally tried to get some information about that guy and the cert he's offering.

After googling some time I came up on one hand with a lot of statements made obviously by himself and exclusivley by indian press saying that this guy is the very best comupter security guru the world has ever seen - and on the other hand some posts to different indian mailing lists where the posters states that Fadia is worse than a script kiddie.

To quote one from one of the posts (see full story here)
I just want to share my findings with you.

Any official citation by FBI/CIA/CBI for Fadia  =    0 (They don't even
bother about any explanation)
Any confirmation of his self-claims                =    0 (Nobody, expect
him knows, if they are real)
Skill level of Fadia                                      =    Only God knows !!

Another post states that he is even in trouble concerning the legality of the cert he issues.

I'm not sure what to think about all that, but taking into concern the quality of the few questions that have been posted here I tend to have at least some doubts.

Don wrote:Security training of any kind is better than ignorance.

I disagree when you use the addition "of any kind" - otherwise you are right.
CPTS, Network+
<<

Kev

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:58 am

Forgive me for writing this,but I dont like his books and now I think I like his Cert program even less. His book Ethical Hacking jumps all over the place and has the feeling of being written by a kid and published by someone who didnt understand the material so just sent it out hoping for the best. I feel bad tearing down a book because I know it takes a great effort to produce one, but on the other hand it needs to have some quality if you dare ask $49.99 !
<<

morpheus063

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:50 am

Kev wrote:Forgive me for writing this,but I dont like his books and now I think I like his Cert program even less. His book Ethical Hacking jumps all over the place and has the feeling of being written by a kid and published by someone who didnt understand the material so just sent it out hoping for the best. I feel bad tearing down a book because I know it takes a great effort to produce one, but on the other hand it needs to have some quality if you dare ask $49.99 !

Hi All,

Thanks for pointing out all the additional information which you all have pointed out. It was a real eye opener for all of us. However, our aim is to learn and not this particular certification. And even if we learn a bit of info, thats more than enough for us. Thanks for the light.

Regards,

The Morpheus
Manu Zacharia

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:04 am

I hope that's not a farewell post?

How did you and your classmates do on the exam? How was the class? Give us the details.  ;D

Don
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:51 am

Hi All,

Thanks for pointing out all the additional information which you all have pointed out. It was a real eye opener for all of us. However, our aim is to learn and not this particular certification. And even if we learn a bit of info, thats more than enough for us. Thanks for the light.

Regards,

The Morpheus

I will say you seem to have a good attitude about learning. Keep thinking like that and you will be very successful.
Last edited by Kev on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

oyle

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:10 pm

The answer is #1.

Dr. Death's Encryption and Decryption tools at:

http://www.securedeath.com/crypt.php

In Igpay Atinlay it's:
elloHay nkitAay

In ROT-13:
Uryyb Naxvg
Last edited by oyle on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

morpheus063

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 pm

don wrote:I hope that's not a farewell post?

How did you and your classmates do on the exam? How was the class? Give us the details.  ;D

Don

Hi Don and everybody,

Sorry for not loggin in for few days as I was having some other other engagements. Coming back to the track, the first exam was a failure as there were some bugs in the online testing program. So the exam was postponed for two months. In the second exam, we were given a word document to fill in the answer. Since we were writing it for the second time, he put all confusing questions like -
You discover that your system has a modified version of the Prosiak trojan installed on it. Which is the first countermeasure you will take?

1. Block access to Port 22222 with a firewall.
2. Block access to Port 222222 with a firewall.
3. Install an Antivirus tool.
4. Port Scan your system.
5. All of the Above.

Enter Correct Answer:

and
The intimidation based social engineering technique is most likely to work against which type of a victim?

1. If the victim is does not speak English too well.
2. If the victim is a new employee. 
3. If you are a very smooth sweet talker.
4. If the victim does not know you.
5. If the victim knows who you are the CEO of a big company.

Enter Correct Answer:

And I am not posting these questions for answers or discussion, but to let you know the standards and patters of the question. Most of the questions had more than one answer if you go theoratically. Now coming to the results, around 500 people participated in the first batch out of which only 21 cleared the exams. And unfortunately, I am not one among them. My score was 62.2%. Pass % required is 70%. However, I am planning to re-appear in the next session.

Thanks for the all the support and I will be a regular active member of this forum.
Manu Zacharia

Return to Network Pen Testing