issues with OSCP

<<

mambru

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:57 am

issues with OSCP

Hi everyone!

I don't know what I want to achieve by saying my current situation regarding OSCP, maybe I'm looking for advices, help or only want to share my frustration. Anyway, here is my story:

Two weeks ago I pre-registered for one of the courses starting next week. The day after, I received an email with the instructions about how to proceed, so I filled out the requested form with all my data. Two days passed and I had no furthers news, so I contacted them to know what was going on. They said that my registration process had been cancelled because I (quoting) "provided information from 3 different countries". What they mean (I guess) is that in the pre-registration I selected as "Country" the one of my nationality, later in the 2nd stage of the registration in my address I gave a different country (it's where I'm currently living) and in the email used the one from my university (which it's in a third different country). I replied them back explaining all this I'm describing, but haven't had more news from them. They just cut off all communication with me, I tried to pre-register once again and didn't receive any email.

So I guess I won't have the chance to take any training or certification from Offensive Security any more.
<<

Kev

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: issues with OSCP

It demonstrates that they are attempting to screen applicants and my hat is off to them for that.  You might try some other course for now and reapply later.  If you are working with a credible organization you need to be very clear and upfront with your information.
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:11 pm

They are selective and if you provide them with inconsistent information like you have then they simply refuse training.
<<

mambru

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah I understand and agree with being selective and having screenings, but I think it's a bit silly that they discriminate who is in and who is not based on this information. And it's even worse that they stop all communication like that when I'm trying to explain what happened.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Mambru,

I can understand your frustration, but like others I can understand why OffSec are taking the route that they are, given the nature of the material they teach they will need to protect themselves and be cautious.

From my experience communication from them can be sporadic and slow at times so depending on timescales I won't take it to heart yet. Assuming you are legit (no disrespect meant, don't know either way) try to catch one of their guys in the irc forum (#offsec), found it the quickest way to get an immediate response.
<<

mambru

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Andrew,

I totally agree that they must be careful with who they give that kind of material to, just that as I said earlier, I think there could be more consistent means to corroborate potential student's profile.

Thanks for the advice about getting in touch through irc, it had crossed my mind but wasn't very sure about being a good idea.
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:43 pm

I agree with Andrew.  I would not take it to heart as they may be just moving very slowly.  Give his IRC suggestion a try...that may be your best bet IMO.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

dalepearson

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 am

Just incase any confusion their channel is on freenode.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Oops, cheers for the catch Dale. I could have sworn I'd mentioned that....
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 am

mambru, if you get any new information in terms of this let us know. ;)

I too would try to contact them either through their IRC channel, E-Mail (as already stated you might let pass some time and then try it again) or through their forums. Good luck.
<<

mambru

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks awesec.

I should update the status of my story. I managed to contact some people in the IRC channel and received some advises, and established contact again with the people of orders dept. After they made some checkings on my info, finally yesterday I was told that I've been booked for starting on November 8th.

So at the end everything worked well and I'm very eager to start with the training. Hope to have more good news to share about the course in the next months.

<<

impelse

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Glad that you fixed your problem
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

UNIX

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Good to hear, have fun with the course. ;)
<<

dalepearson

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Glad you got the result you were looking for.
Now let the pain commence :)

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional