OSCE Impressions

<<

SecMan

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:09 pm

OSCE Impressions

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here taken the OSCE (Offensive Security Certified Expert)?  I'm thinking of taking it but wanted some more feedback.  I already have the OSCP and there were pros and cons to it:

Pros:
  * Practical
  * Gets your hands dirty (exploit development, OllyDbg, etc.)
  * Fun

Cons:
  * Doesn't stress a specific methodology to use (very general)
  * Very very light on web application penetration testing

So does the OSCE address these issues?  Does it emphasis web applications sufficiently?  Thanks.
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: OSCE Impressions

I haven't done it but I hang around the #offsec chan occassionally. All feedback has been great and I expect no less from muts & co.

I wouldn't expect much on the "methodology" front. That isn't what their courses are designed to teach.
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 pm

SecMan,
Funny you should ask that. I also want to get involved in Web App testing and thinking of doing the Sans 542. So right now I am undecided. :)

As it relates to methodology Sans excels in this area.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

SecMan

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:01 am

LearnOnlineSecurity.com has a new course which is currently pretty cheap (around $300).  It's called "So You Wanna Be A Web App Pentester?" and is by Joseph McCray and Chris Gates.  I'm not sure how good it is though.

By the way, I have no doubt that the OSCE is a great course.  My only worry is that it will concentrate too much on network security and too little on web application security.  Considering that web apps are the #1 attack surface and that I'm a little weak in web app penetration testing, I'm a little hesitant in taking the OSCE.

Return to General Certification