MAN DOWN

<<

LT72884

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:08 pm

MAN DOWN

Ello all. Im new here and brand spakin new to the world of net security. I am in ccnp classes so i do know networking. however i have never ever done security. i have setup virtual box and installed winxpprosp2, bt3, deice and win2k3 server. Now what do i do? lol. How do i accomplish the task for deice? where do i begin?

EDIT
Let me re-phrase this. I dont know what to ask since i have never delt with security. What should i ask? Where should i start. Is de-ice 1.100 to advanced for a beginer?
thanx

Matt
Last edited by LT72884 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

alucian

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:30 am

Re: MAN DOWN

De-ice is the basic one, but it will be better for you if you'll gonna start reading some basic hacking books. Given that you are at least CCNA, you can start with one of the CEH books, in order to better understand the whole process. Then you are good to go with the tools (or better do both in the same time).

Just my noob opinion.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:17 am

I agree with alucian, definitely start reading.  I think that you took the right step and built a lab.  Now, you just need some guidance and take it slow.  The following book is great for making the concepts of pen testing and security easy to understand.  There are others as well. 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131481045/counterhack-20/102-3137377-8738566?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=09EPBETNFPKYW98V13DB&link_code=as1

Programming knowledge will go a long with in the realm of security.  If you don't have any programming experience, definitely pick up a few books as well.  PHP, Perl, Python, C, C++, VB, Shell Scripting, etc, understanding would go a long way to help you figure out what's going in the background.

Search these forums as well.  Your question has been asked many times.  Some really knowledgeable people have given guidance and suggestions before. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

impelse

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:07 pm

This book will help you a lot and has the www.heorot.net training in the dvd:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Pene ... 170&sr=8-1
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

LT72884

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Saweet action. thanx guys. I have picked up the CEH study guide and CEHv6 tools and labs.

I also borrowed a book from someone back east. the book is supposedly the lab book to offensive security 101 from 2007. Since all i have is the lab book, i hope following that will help me out with de-ice and what not. But what exactly am i trying to accomplish with deice? is it just get the username and password and thats it? or is there more to it. I have read the scenario but didnt really tell me what i needed to do.

Since i am unemployed and a professional student. I will check to see if my local library has thomas's book.

I also currently own a CCNP/CCIE lab. will this be needed at all?

Thanx for your time. i look forward to understanding this realm with more respect that i currently do.

OHH one more thing. How active are these forums?

thnx

Matt
Last edited by LT72884 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rattis

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 pm

LT72884,

I'm a former CCNA with 13 years of data networking experience. I recently read Hacking for Dummies. Some of the stuff I knew, some of it I didn't. I also read Firewalls and Internet Security (mostly theory and using something Unix based to create a firewall, down side it is dated but so was Hacking for Dummies).

My next step is going to get my Sec+ cert. After that, I'm looking forward to reading Hacking: The Next Generation and Network Security Assessment.

My interest is Overall security of the network I run (Network Engineer and Linux Admin).

You're lab will help you do lots of things, especially if you have a few extra computers you can toss on to it. I've got a lab I built for CCNA study purposes (3 routers, 3 switches). I can practice things like arp poisoning, turning the switch into a hub (forwards all packets to all ports), and practice port spanning with a packet sniffer, and then trying to find it. (I know it's there, I can see it but I can I find it without just going to where I set it up and killing the port).

Couple of things I want to add to my lab, a small voip infrastructure and a cisco firewall.

The place is usually pretty active.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

LT72884

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:52 pm

I like active forums. I have built a few firewalls using smoothwal, ipcop, and untangle. though i prefer smoothwall. I have even built my own routers using vyatta. My interests are for sure pen testing. I want to find a book that is not all theory. I want to find a book that says here is the tool and how to use it. BUT doesnt give me all the answers. I dont want to be some guy who just follows examples. i want to be taught how to use the tools but continues learning. Im hoping the offsec labs do this for me

My home ccnp lab consists of 3 routers, 4 switches(some with fiber), and bout 6 PC's that are not built yet. I have a secure server cabnit that holds everything.
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:08 pm

LT, I am currently running IpCop.  If you don't mind, what do you feel the advantages of smoothwal are over IpCop? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jason

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:23 pm

One of the biggies is that smoothie does outbound traffic filtering... ipcop is actually a fork of smoothwall from a few years back.
<<

LT72884

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Ketchup wrote:LT, I am currently running IpCop.   If you don't mind, what do you feel the advantages of smoothwal are over IpCop?   

Besides outbound filtering. I like the edition of zerina(i think thats spelled right) Its an awesome vpn gui/management addon for smoothy. Smoothy seems to play better with cisco. Have not tested and proven that yet. I LIKE ALL THE ADDOns (dang caplocks) that smoothy has to offer.

Untangle is just way to fancy and bloated with extras a FW does not need. Mainly a system resource hog IMHO. i will start another thread later that i could use some help with. i want a cisco router after the smoothy so i can incorperate vlans. Its not configureing the cisco devices. its trying to get everything to work correctly. hahah
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:23 pm

IpCop will do egress filtering as well, but it has no management interface for this task.  If you want egress filtering, you have to add custom iptables entries. 

VPN interoperability is one of the main reasons I went with IpCop.  I needed a point to point connection to a Watchguard fw, which does not play nice with other VPNs.  I think that I may have to give smoothwal a try.    Since the snort version included with IpCop stopped receiving updates, I have been thinking about a replacement.  The development roadmap just moves a little too slowly. 

Thanks for the info everyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

LT72884

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Ketchup wrote:IpCop will do egress filtering as well, but it has no management interface for this task.  If you want egress filtering, you have to add custom iptables entries.   

VPN interoperability is one of the main reasons I went with IpCop.  I needed a point to point connection to a Watchguard fw, which does not play nice with other VPNs.   I think that I may have to give smoothwal a try.    Since the snort version included with IpCop stopped receiving updates, I have been thinking about a replacement.   The development roadmap just moves a little too slowly.   

Thanks for the info everyone!

Smoothwall plays very nicely with other VPN's. never had an issue with wacthgaurd or sonic wall. Egress filtering is all done with a pertty lil GUI in smoothwall. AND you can add custom entries in IPtables if wanted. The only thing i dont think smoothwall can do is this: some isp's block certain ports and i know with ipcop you can add a custom ip entry to redirect any incomming data for that port to another port. Its more than portforwarding. I cant exactly remember what it is. Its like comcast blocks port 441 and so any incomming dat to that port is dropped but in ipcop you can redirect port 441 to 4598 or whatever. smoothwall i dont think can do that
<<

rattis

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:35 pm

LT, get hacking for dummies. don't let the dummies name fool you. I really did learn from it. The author went with a lot of commercial software, but it was a good start.

There are a few noob threads around here with books to read.

I know what you mean about not being just a cookbook (do step a, step b, step c) kind of guy.

As for my firewalls, I prefer a small box, without a lot of stuff installed running straight IP Tables. Work however wants ASAs and PIXs.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

LT72884

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:17 pm

chrisj wrote:LT, get hacking for dummies. don't let the dummies name fool you. I really did learn from it. The author went with a lot of commercial software, but it was a good start.

There are a few noob threads around here with books to read.

I know what you mean about not being just a cookbook (do step a, step b, step c) kind of guy.

As for my firewalls, I prefer a small box, without a lot of stuff installed running straight IP Tables. Work however wants ASAs and PIXs.

Ill check it out from library. Cookbooks can be usefull at times but i also dont want all theory. i want to be taught how to use the tools and have hands on for pentesting and not just read a book about what pen testing is. I have begged and begged for the labs from my friend back east for offsec 101. so he let me borrow them. so hopefully they will work for me rather than against me.

Your so lucky you know IPtables. i wish i could read and edit those.

Return to Network Pen Testing