anybody with experience in SSCP?

<<

mambru

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:04 am

anybody with experience in SSCP?

First of all I have to apologize for my manners, since I've participated in a few posts but never introduced myself properly. So now I'll take the chance to do it briefly, which also will help for the topic of the post.

In 2007 I got my BSc degree in Computing Systems Engineering, majoring in Networks and Distributed Systems. After that I started a master in Information Security and Cryptography, graduating last June. In August got certified in Security+ and then started preparing for SSCP, and next week I'll start with OSCP.

I chose SSCP instead of CISSP basically for 2 reasons: the first one because I'm more a technical guy and not managerial, and that's how I'd like to lead my career (at least at the beginning); the second being the experience required to fulfil the cert. I've been preparing it using the Official (ISC)2 Guide to the SSCP CBK (http://www.amazon.com/Official-ISC-Guide-SSCP-Press/dp/0849327741/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255622004&sr=8-1) and I only have one chapter left to go trough. So far I'm feeling very disappointed, I thought it'd allow me to learn much more things, but sincerely I feel it at the same level as Sec+. Right now I think it'd be only a new credential in my CV, so my question is, should I go for it? I have the money and feel very confident of passing the exam, but I don't know how helpful it'd be for my CV and improving my chances to get a job. What do you think?
<<

sethmisenar

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: anybody with experience in SSCP?

Good to meet you.  Sounds like you are making some very good career choices early in the game.

This is certainly my own opinion, but I'm not sure how much value you would get out of adding the SSCP to your CV. 

To me the SSCP and Security+ are comparable (at least on the CV).  The CISSP, on the other hand, seems to be considerably more prestigious, and is often a requirement for both managerial and technical positions alike (no comment on the merit of requiring pen testers to have a CISSP... ;) ).

Given the amount of studying you have done thus far (one chapter left), I would recommend that you knock out that last chapter of SSCP, and then go study the additional 3 domains that comprise the CISSP.  Though you don't yet have the requisite experience to be granted the CISSP, you will be awarded the "Associate of ISC(2)" credential, which can be converted to a full blown CISSP if you gain the experience requirements within 6 years of passing.

Might be a bit more work, but I think the CISSP will be much more helpful in the long run, and since you have already studied most of the material...

Here is the brochure for the Associate of ISC(2):
http://www.isc2.org/uploadedFiles/Crede ... te_of_(ISC)2/Associate%20of%20(ISC)2.pdf

Hope this helps.

Seth Misenar
GSE, CASP, CISSP, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GCWN, GCFA, MCSE
<<

mambru

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks for your comments Seth. I think it's a very good advice and I had already started to consider it, since (IMHO) most of the employers overrate the CISSP and think that people holding it are the only ones capable of carrying out a security job. So I guess you're right and it'd be better at the long run.

Thanks once again.
<<

sethmisenar

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:02 am

Glad to help.  Yup, many hiring managers and, moreover, recruiters seem to be aware only of the CISSP when it comes to security professionals.  I take it as a given that the CISSP is required to get my foot in the door at almost any place of employment.  Sad, but often true.  Keep up the hard work and studying, and I'm certain you will be successful. 

Seth
GSE, CASP, CISSP, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GCWN, GCFA, MCSE

Return to General Certification