Looking for pen test/red team career advice

<<

HotSoup

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Looking for pen test/red team career advice

Well, I am a high school student from Kansas. I first became interested in security when I learned PHP. I eventually started learning how networking/the internet worked and really became interested in the security side of it. The "hacker mentality" really got me interested. The idea of hackers being the heroes was a new thought to me; I always thought they were the criminals and vandals. I am now very interested in red teaming/pen testing. Most of my skills now are in web apps, but I am familiar with C and C++. So ya, I am very interested in security (specifically red teaming), I love to learn, and I am sufficient in high level programming languages.

Does any one have any suggestions for colleges and/or military paths that will help start a career toward pen testing or red teaming?
<<

HotSoup

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: Looking for pen test/red team career advice

Also some guidance on things before college would be useful. All the pc classes at my school are lame. Should I take classes at a college? Are there any conferences in particular that I should go to?
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:23 am

As far as the military route is concerned, I would go Air Force.  I joined the Marines because I needed a boot in my a$$.  They have better funding and resources as far as I am concerned.  You can also go to college after hours for free I believe so you can have a degree by the time you are done with your 4 year contract plus experience to boot.  You would also have a clearance that is good for several years after your 4 year term as well and that can open a LOT of doors.  If you choose the college route, I would ensure that they have a IT Security concentration.  Visit them and decide if it is a good fit for you.

It sounds like you are a very bright person who knows what they want....wish I did when I was your age.

Welcome to the forum, good luck, and let us know if you need anything else.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

HotSoup

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for the reply I am considering a college info sec degree and an ANG job at the same time.
<<

HotSoup

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 pm

Gah! It is difficult to find a college with a legit Network Security Program. Anybody have any college ideas?
<<

mambru

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:09 am

Have you tried Carnegie Mellon? I don't know if they have what you're looking for, but I've seen they have interesting graduate programs in security.

I'm not from the US, so probably there are many other people who can be more helpful.

Good luck
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:19 am

I know Drexel University offers a program in Information Security.  It's a decent program.  I would jut search Google for schools that have programs in IS security, and start getting info from them. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 am

mambru wrote:Have you tried Carnegie Mellon? I don't know if they have what you're looking for, but I've seen they have interesting graduate programs in security.

I'm not from the US, so probably there are many other people who can be more helpful.

Good luck

Carnegie Mellon University is an outstanding university with an outstanding IT Security program.  I highly recommend looking into it if you are serious.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

HotSoup

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks. I will definitly check out those colleges...

Hmmm UAT keeps coming up alot... What do you guys know about this place's network security degree?

Return to Career Central