Multi-domain SSL Certificates

<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Multi-domain SSL Certificates

I am curious about whether or not you can purchase an SSL certificate from a reputable vendor, such as Verisign or Thwafte, that would cover multiple TLD and SLD domains.  Does any know if it's possible to use one certificate for multiple domains like the ones below?

myhostingsite.com
myhostingsite.net
hostingmysite.com
hostingmysite.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Multi-domain SSL Certificates

Yeah, I believe so.  You mean like a wildcard certificate?
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:54 pm

From what I read, wildcard certs deal with *.particulardomain.com.  I think that the SLD and TLD has to be the same for them.  I am not sure though.    I would have multiple TLDs and SLDs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

rattis

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm

we usually get 1 cert from Thawte per server. I don't know if there is another way to do it. It would be nice, but usually management get's the cert, and I just apply it.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hades_a

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:05 pm

GoDaddy have what they call a (Unified Communications Certificate) UCC certificate which they claim can be used to:
*  Secure up to 100 domain names on one certificate.
* Save money because the cost of one Multiple Domain Certificate, with additional domain names, is less than the cost of individual certificates for each unique domain name.
* Compatible with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and Microsoft Communications Server.
* Simplifies the process of managing multiple certificates with varying expiration dates.

Check them out here: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/ssl.asp?ci=8979
MCSE 2003:Security, Security+, MCITP:EA
<<

venom77

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:21 am

That looks like the GoDaddy thing would be an option to look into. Their example looks just like yours. It doesn't explain how it's different from a shared SSL certificate - which will give you warnings constantly since the name on the certificate doesn't match the domain.

I've never seen multiple domains on an SSL certificate before and wasn't aware you can do it. Even if you were to load multiple certificates onto an Apache server and then point each of your domains to its own certificate, the one that's first in the configuration will be selected because of how SSL works (unless of course each domain has its own IP address).
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:17 am

Hades, that's what I need!  Thanks.  Now I just have to see if Verisign or Thawte offers the same.  Unfortunately, I was told by my application vendor that Godaddy certs are not supported.

Bill, I have multiple IPs, definitely.  And, unfortunately, I am on Windows.  I am not a huge fan of dealing with Windows web servers, but the app runs on Windows. 

thanks everyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup

Return to Web Applications