Corporate AV Solution

<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Corporate AV Solution

I am just curious to see what everyone uses in their environment for an AV solution and your opinions.  I always hear complaints about Symantec Endpoint Protection, but I personally like it.  I like how easy it is to manage and deploy the clients and the malware protection has vastly improved over previous versions of Symantec.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Corporate AV Solution

I tend to stick with AVG.  I never use McAfee anymore.  I use Symantec as a very very distant second choice, mostly of its resource consumption issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

rattis

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:46 pm

we tend to use symantec where I'm at. Yet we seem to have to take boxes off line and use TRK with it's choices to clean boxes way too often.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

venom77

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 am

Where I was at previously, we also used Symantec for AV and eventually the Endpoint Protection suite. I thought it did a fairly decent job as well.

Currently where I'm at, they're using McAfee/HBSS but it's not on the servers I manage yet and I don't have anything to do with the management-end of things so I can't really compare yet.
<<

partek

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:03 pm

We use the McAfee Total Protection Service. Frankly it's a bit heavy on resources and we're considering switching to Trend Micro or Panda's SaaS offering when our McAfee contract is up.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNA Security, OSCP, CEH
<<

timmedin

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Pretty much everywhere I've been we have used Symantec. I've liked it until the latest version. I HATE it now.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

kennut

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:49 am

Using SEP for a small office (5 of us only). Our corporate office also uses Symantec, but I know most of our subsidiaries are going for cheaper solution like Sophos because they've been very aggressive trying to do it at a group level. (meaning more discount if company A,B,C etc pool $$$ to buy it in bulk purchasing).

so far so good on SEP and don't plan to change it.
Done all 3 certs, now going for CISSP.....
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:34 am

timmedin wrote:Pretty much everywhere I've been we have used Symantec. I've liked it until the latest version. I HATE it now.

Why do you hate SEP as opposed to 10.x and earlier?  I felt the exact opposite.  The only ones who complain are the developers who I think would whine over anything.  They say that it pegs their hard drive....really?  I guess running Visual Studio and SQL on a laptop wouldn't have anything to do with it.  Enough of my rant.  :-\
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

timmedin

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Dengar13 wrote:
timmedin wrote:Pretty much everywhere I've been we have used Symantec. I've liked it until the latest version. I HATE it now.

Why do you hate SEP as opposed to 10.x and earlier?  I felt the exact opposite.  The only ones who complain are the developers who I think would whine over anything.  They say that it pegs their hard drive....really?  I guess running Visual Studio and SQL on a laptop wouldn't have anything to do with it.  Enough of my rant.  :-\

We jumped on v12 right after Maintenance Release 1, I have never encountered a buggier and more poorly tested piece of software. I can't remember all of the problems but I know that the remote distribution feature was a nightmare. We had two of us who were constantly on the phone with support and none of them knew what was going on. We submitted a number of bug reports (which they fixed) and it took until Maintenance Release 3 before it would even work.

The latest MR has now broken the distribution point feature. The reason is kind of complicated, but it boils down to all policy decisions being based on the last logged on user, not the computer account location in AD. Since our Admins are in a different OU than our remote distribution point then it picks a different policy if an admin ever logs in, then it decides that it isn't the distribution point anymore.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com

Return to Other