Security+

<<

mohsinhafeez

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:52 am

Security+

Hi everyone, my name is Mohsin Hafeez. I am a CCNA, working as a Network Engineer at datacraft. I want to get into security. Initially i was thinking about doing CCNA Security, but now I have second thoughts because CCNA security is a new certfication, dont know if it is worth it and also it is vendor specific. I was thinking about doing Security+ or CEH. Dont know if i can do CEH coz i'll have to show experience in Network Security for that exam. Any suggestions?
CCNA, MCP, CCIE Security Written, JNCIA(FWV/VPN)
<<

Xen

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Security+

Security+ is a nice certificate if you are just starting out in security.

I can't say how much EC-Council adhere to their 2yrs. experience rule; their have been multiple cases where EC-Council has allowed students who had no experience in security whatsoever, to sit for the examination.
Perhaps, writing them a letter could help.
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:33 am

Security+ is a decent cert to start with.  I am mostly with you on the vendor-specific certs, although I began with MCSE:Securit myself.  Sometimes vendor certs are a good place to start.

I have always advised people to take a second look at their resume when it comes to security experience.  This is especially true for network engineers.  How much of your time is spent managing ACLs on a firewall or router?  How much time do you spend managing anti-virus or anti-malware software?  Do you secure resources with NTFS and Share permissions?    These are all part of security.  When you are sitting for exams that require experience, my advice would be to structure resume to highlight your security experience. 

I would suggest that you pick up a programming language or four, if you don't already have this knowledge.  Scripting is also a huge plus.  Linux is a must, if you are getting into the security industry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

I'll echo what Ketchup said, Security+ is a good cert to start with, I started with Security+  and then went C|EH and I feel it gave me a good foundation.
Regarding the C|EH exam and experience,  you can register for the exam if you attend the live training. If you persue the self-study route then you need to show at least 2 years security related experience.

"  Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for appearing in the CEH certification examination, you must:

1. Have attended training for the CEH course at any of the accredited training centers. Should you choose to defer taking the examination after your training, and would like to opt for another location; you can apply for the same at a later date at any ATC of your choice by submitting your certificate of attendance to EC-Council.
  2. If you have opted for self-study and not attended training, you must have at least two years of information security related experience.

Please download and complete the CEH Exam (EC0-350) Application Form and fax it to EC-Council at +1-505-212-0667 for verification. Upon approval, EC-Council will send you an eligibility voucher number which you can use to register and schedule the test at any Authorized Prometric Testing Center globally. Please note that Prometric Registration will not entertain any requests without this voucher number"

http://www.eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 am

Are you interested in CISCO devices or could imagine that you work in a company which is focusing on them? If so, I would say CCNA Security would be a good choice. Although it is new, I already saw a few employers asking for it.
Security+ by CompTIA is good as well and vendor-independently, so if you have the possibility, go for both.

In terms of CEH, do what Ketchup suggested. Structuring your experience is a good way to highlight your skills and, as already stated, EC-Council allowed a few students to sit for the exam without 2 years of experience or taking their classes in the past. It doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Good luck.
<<

3PIL0GU3

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 am

I got my CEH last year and mess around with security ion a daily basis just wondering how hard the security + cert is would I just be able to go for the exam without further study or are there more strenuous topics I need to know such as more complex algorithms and reverse engineering coding
----------------------------
CEH
<<

hiddenillusion

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 pm

It's not a hard exam, it's meant to be entry level.  While some people bash it, it actually accounts for more than people think.  It can count as (1) one year off required experience for some certifications and the US DoD 8750 recognizes it as Level II Tech.

www.giac.org/8570/
www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf
GCIH, ACE, OSCP, CCNA, CEH, CHFI, Security+
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I think the security+ cert is great. Simply because it can count towards a cross credit for so many other things.
<<

unsupported

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm

I know it takes a year off the CISSP 5 year requirement as well as acts as an elective for the Microsoft MSCA(E?):Security.  I really liked the Security +.  It was my introduction into a lot of the concepts I use on a daily basis.  A great stepping stone.

I also really liked the C|EH, although I do not do any pentesting for my job, knowing the tools and what the view from the threats point of view has helped me know what to look for on my side.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

venom77

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:45 pm

8570 also recognizes Sec+ as Level I manager. And yeah, counts as an elective for MCSA/E.

I've just recently finished the new EC-Council Press CEH series of books. I'll be posting a review soon. If security/hacking is a new field to you, you'll certainly want to consider this set.
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Looking forward to it, Bill. :)

As already mentioned, Security+ is good for several reasons, where one is certainly the 1 year off of the CISSP requirements. Also, if someone is serious about CISSP, S+ shouldn't be a problem at all.
Last edited by UNIX on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to General Certification