Decent Sec+ Study Guide for SY0-201 (aka 2008) exam?

<<

rattis

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Decent Sec+ Study Guide for SY0-201 (aka 2008) exam?

I kind of feel like this has been hashed over in different threads but after talking with Ryan Linn in IRC (you guys should come join us, the channel is lonely) he suggested starting this topic.

I'm looking for a good study guide for the Security+ 2008 / SY0-201 exam. I'm looking for something that will fill in the gaps in my knowledge while pre-paring me for the exam. I'm also not looking to just pass the exam and say I'm certified, I want to know more about security by the time I"m done.

So, what are your opinions on the current Security+ study guides out there? Are there ones you like more than others, which ones do you think are worth their salt?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

alucian

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Decent Sec+ Study Guide for SY0-201 (aka 2008) exam?

I recommend you to go for Security+ Study Guide
http://www.amazon.com/Security-Study-Guide-Ido-Dubrawsky/dp/1597491535/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253899893&sr=8-1
It is the most complet and the questions in the book are close to the ones from the actual exam. Also, try to find preplogic software with the questions for the exam. This will help you to pass the exam. I consider that this exam is a very good introduction to the security world.
When you'll finish the exam, you'll have a better undertandig about all the domains of the security, and you'll be able to choose one that suits better your character. I find this to be very important. I think that someone that has the spirit of a hacker (we are on the eh site) will not like to do a full time job as a firewall technician, just to give an example. But there are others that like to do this, that like to configure networks, and not to try to circumvent the security mechanisms implemented by others.
This is my personal opinion, others can give you other examples and opinions.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

rattis

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 pm

Mostly my interests lie in securing the network I build, and then keeping people from circumventing the rules I put in place because that's what the business has asked for. Time and again, I've seen that my employers value the opinion of someone certified over mine. As if they don't think I'm qualified unless I have a cert.

I'm hope the cert will help me get a new job too, because of the attitude I see here. The get past HR for an interview level. I'm looking at Sec+ because it's an "intro" for computer security. Should go good with the other 2 certs I'm working on right now (CCNA and Linux Professional Institute).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

mambru

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:52 am

I took Sec+ cert a couple of months back, and for my preparation I was using Mike Meyers' CompTIA Security+ Certification Passport http://www.amazon.com/Meyers-CompTIA-Se ... 36&sr=8-10

I  can't make a comparison against other books since it's the only one I've had for this, but I feel it covers in good way the topics and the sample questions at the end of each chapter give a good feeling about the ones you'll find in the book.
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 pm

My 2 cents:

I used the same study guide that alucian  posted (http://www.amazon.com/Security-Study-Gu ... 893&sr=8-1) and found it sufficient to pass the exam. Although I did have prior security knowledge/experience which also helped.
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

venom77

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:04 am

CompTIA maintains a list on their website of books that are "certified," or have some seal making them official, that's a good place to look.

I personally think the Sybex study guide was a good review book.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:21 pm

BillV,

I've seen the list, but like I said the reviews on amazon were mixed. I've been leaning towards the Sybex one, but since my budget is really tight, I wanted to see what everyone else thought so I wouldn't have to buy multiple books.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

alucian

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 am

I had both Sybex and Syngress books. If you are short on money there is a post somewhere with sites where you can find free books; even it is not so ethical it is good for the one that want to study.
The questions on the Syngress one are closer than the one from the exam.
Also, pm me for some tests I have.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP

Return to General Certification