Making money as a hacker

<<

Kev

Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Making money as a hacker

So many people coming into security don’t think outside the box. To secure a network we must think like the attacker. Not the script kiddie, but someone very skilled and focused. Someone that doesn’t give up because they don’t find an exploit in the current metasploit download.  Forgive me and I hate that over used saying about the box but it’s true.  Thinking “outside the box” is such a requirement that I feel I can say you cant be a great hacker if you don’t.  I used to hate reading sayings concerning hacking, you know all that Sun Zu crap about knowing your enemy, blah blah. I just wanted the easy how to steps.  But years later I have come to appreciate what wiser folks were saying to me.  Being a good hacker is a state of mind and not just looking for a quick how to on the internet.  The problem is, there are so many ways to get into a network and looking for just one or two ways to get in that someone might post is very limiting.  Think about how a rat tries to get in.  As disgusting as it might seem, the rat really is our best example.  A rat is very tenacious and never giving up.  Its sad for me to say but there are few networks I cant breach if I am given enough time and recourses. 

So if you are the kind of person that just can’t even figure out how to make a living hacking then don’t even try. If you think the only way is to get a lot of credentials and beg some company to hire you then you are not thinking like a true hacker.  I have made a very good living just being independent. You can make over a $100,000 a year easy if you understand the process.  Yes, you should get training and ask as many questions as you can, but don’t just rely on that.  So think like a hacker and you will do just fine. Just thought I put my 2 cents in. 

Kev
<<

impelse

Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Making money as a hacker

I agree with you about think out of the box and not just rely on credentials, but sometimes you use the credentials just to obtain some knowledge.

During this time that I am learning reading books, forums, articles and videos (a lot of practice), I wonder where will I go? Try to go by myself (I have exp with my small business in the past) or try to go work for a company, get more exp and go independent, etc, etc, etc
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker