Open Discussion: What Courses Should EH-Net Review and Who Should Do Them?

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Open Discussion: What Courses Should EH-Net Review and Who Should Do Them?

OK EH-Netters. Now's your time to speak up and help determine some of our content. We've done reviews of CEH, CISSP, SANS Network Pen Testing, SANS Exploit Dev, SANS Web App and SANS Wireless. Heorot's and OffSec courses are in play now. I'm also already scheduling some entry level security courses like SANS GSEC, and, although not really course-based, CompTIA Network+ & Security+. Finally I'm actively scheduling some forensics courses Like those from SANS and CCE.

Anything else you'd like for us to review?

I was going to ask which EH-Netters would like to do the review, which means we would get you in for free (we unfortunately can't cover travel expenses). I've decided not to and treat it almost like more Free Giveaways. Those that participate the most (including regular columnists) will be considered. Don't get up in arms, as this is how it has been done to date. As a hint, we have a CWNP course coming up as a giveaway. Wink wink nod nod. Is this a fair approach?

So in addition to CWNP stuff, should we go for Cisco reviews (entry level and security related), more CWNP courses, other EC-Council courses (and thus by whom), Foundstone, Intense School, etc. etc. You see how it can get tough. I don't want to do 5 CEH reviews just becasue there are so many different providers out there. I also don't want to miss anything that's out there and deserves attention just because they are new and unknown.

Hope this sparks a good conversation and a great list for me to start approaching the course providers with whom I already now, and pitch them for even more reviews.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

rattis

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Open Discussion: What Courses Should EH-Net Review and Who Should Do Them?

While not exactly on topic, what I'd like to see, from a stand point of just starting out is a "easy challenge" section. Something less powerful than the monthly challenge and more like what SANs did the other week with the pcap file for Sec558.

When it was first posted, all I knew was how to load the pcap into wireshark and look for information, but between the 2 threads here, I was able to figure out how to go through all the other 6 steps (stopped before scripting it).

That way multiple people could post their solutions (written up as a howto for future users), find out what they did wrong, what they did right and we get to see other people's writing styles.

I could see a section like that getting mis-used / abused by script kiddies and black hats starting out, but as others have said (thinking Hacking for Dummies and Firewalls and Internet Security) the black hats have their communication channels. It's better to share with the white hats and get people better at security.

But this is just my view.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:21 pm

I would be interested in Foundstone's expert-level courses reviews.  It seems like they have some pretty cool training in the expert level.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has taken them.  I would also be interested in the some exploit development course reviews.

Have we done a CCE review?  That's going to become a very popular cert with all of the regulations brewing around. 

I personally would stay away from too many vendor specific certifications like Cisco, Microsoft, and Guidance.  I am not saying they are bad certs, but I think that there is already a ton of information on these out there.

These are just my 2 cents, which probably should be adjust for inflation ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Xen

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:18 am

I would be interested in SANS entry level courses like GSEC. It appears a good certificate for beginners and have heard some very good reviews of it.  Also, I don't think we have reviewed GCIH.
Personally, I would volunteer for entry level courses only as all my knowledge is through books and working on personal lab and training requires money which I don't have presently.

Also, I second Ketchup that we should stay away from too many vendor specific certifications for now.
Last edited by Xen on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Jhaddix

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:55 am

I want to do foundstone's classes as well,  I have some friends  there im trying to work with to get a kind of facilitator spot.
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:19 am

Jason, if you think that you may need an assistant facilitator, let me know :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:49 am

Again, this is really a great opportunity you are offering Don.

I agree with the others, vendor-independent certificates are better as otherwise there would be too much to cover (just think about all the product specific certs available), though they are interesting too. Maybe, if focusing on both, only going for the more known such as from Microsoft, CISCO, etc. would be a good option. Though there are probably some unknown certs available too, which are great..

Personally I am highly interested in courses focusing on offensive security and reverse engineering, such as from Offensive Security and SANS (Security 610 (Reverse-Engineering Malware: Malware Analysis Tools and Techniques), Security 709 (Developing Exploits for Penetration Testers and Security Researchers)). So, if there would be the possibility to go for them, it would be nice if you could consider me for it.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Don,

sounds like a great way to get some better insight into the almost non-stop discussion of 'should I do course X'.

Any combination of course and reviewer should be good, but it would be useful to get a summary of the reviewer's relative experience and ability in the subject at hand to be able to get a better idea of difficulty of the material (or link to the courses pre-requisite list...)

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net