New EH

<<

basic

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 am

New EH

Hi guys I'm new to here i'm a senior in high school and recently decided i want to become an ethical hacker.  I know HTML and SQL and I'm going to start learning C++ over winter. I know alot about DDOS and crypters and packers related.  Where would be a good place to start learning more about ethical hacking? Are there any books or colleges that have cources that teach ethical hacking?
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:24 am

Re: New EH

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I would recommend first to read a few threads here at EH-Net, as those questions were already answered quite often. Further you may read a few of the sticky threads such as this one or this one.

Also plenty of recommendations for books were already given, so take your time to browse through the forums.

Learning programming languages such as C++ is certainly a good idea to begin with.
<<

enzo

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:18 am

Ethics, you know right from wrong.. its that simple, dont hack into critical systems like Hospitals like that epic bit of fail "Jesse William McGraw", who called himself "GhostExodus," aged 25, he was leader of the hacker group "Electronik Tribulation Army," and worked the night shift at the Carrell Clinic hospital in Dallas. He had bragged online that he “infiltrated” the facility. Epic Fail when the FBI arrived on his door... Ethics some of us have them other's do not... Dont waste your time with courses instead buy a good book.. Books save you time and money.. Welcome to EH.. :D

One of the greatest books of all time; well tis in my humble opinion..

http://www.mit.edu/hacker/hacker.html
Last edited by enzo on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 am

Welcome!

I would say definitely learn as much programming as you can stomach.  You can always find a tool that will suit your purpose, but being able to understand what's going in the background and writing your own is much more important.  Don't become reliant on tools, learn how to do it manually first.

There are safe ways to practice your craft.  There are quite a few "emulation" sites out there that will allow you to hack anything and everything without causing any damage.  They too have been mentioned many times on the forums.  Hackthissite.org and Overthewire.org are two examples.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

enzo

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:40 am

Ketchup wrote:Welcome!

I would say definitely learn as much programming as you can stomach.  You can always find a tool that will suit your purpose, but being able to understand what's going in the background and writing your own is much more important.  Don't become reliant on tools, learn how to do it manually first.

There are safe ways to practice your craft.   There are quite a few "emulation" sites out there that will allow you to hack anything and everything without causing any damage.   They too have been mentioned many times on the forums.   Hackthissite.org and Overthewire.org are two examples.

Good examples.. Ketchup fancy a cheese toasty? I is hungry and fancy a'la'munch! time me thinks for a grease packed take out with Chinese noodles and some hot chilli sauce... (stomach rumble!)

Emulate the N64, those games on Windows rule! No one beats me at golden-eye!!
Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:35 pm

Another "safe" alternative for practicing and researching is a virtual lab.  Look into virualization to learn more. Welcome and ask away.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

basic

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:26 am

Thanks alot for the help.
At the moment my computer is broken and i don't know how to fix it and i'm kinda too poor to buy a new one so C++ will be on hold until then.
If you could help me with my computer it would be greatly appreciated

I have an Hp Pavilion running windows XP
I did a system restore and the internet is no longer working on it
I was told to reinstall the network drivers but i can't find them and i installed the motem drivers again and it didn't work.
<<

UNIX

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:56 pm

What exactly is not working? Which network card do you have?

More details would be great in order to give better help.
<<

rattis

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm

basic

you should be able to get the network card's drivers off the HP site. Does it work with a linux live cd?
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Tutorials