HELP!!! NT Hash needs decoding

<<

23ant23503

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:35 am

HELP!!! NT Hash needs decoding

Hello,

I am really new to this site but I thought that it was a very good place to start to solve the dilemna that I have.  I have a laptop running on windows vista platform and it was lent out a little while back to one of my cousins.  At the time, there was no password stored to log into the cp.  Now that I have gotten my cp back, it is now asking for a password and noone seems to know the password.  I am not sure if someone came over and was fooing around with it and stored a password on purpose or accident but I do know that I can no longer log into the cp at all.  I do not want to use the disk that came with the software because this would cause me to lose alot of information that I have stored on the cp so I am really looking to alternatives for this problem.  I have gotten the NT hash for the password but have not been able to decode it.  If there is any way that someone can help me to decode this hash, it would be extremely appreciated.  Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

NT hash:

5230099e9b837e353c5bc814ae94d394

Thanks again,
Anthony
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:50 am

Re: HELP!!! NT Hash needs decoding

If it's just getting back onto the machine, cracking the hash is not necessary. I will give you a few ideas to get you going in the right direction.

- First of all, use some kind of bootable Linux CD to change the password.
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

- Next... watch this video. It's simplistic, but it may help:
http://www.howcast.com/videos/226372-Ho ... s-Password

- Then if you really want to get the actual password, then try rainbow tables on the hash value using something like Ophcrack.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

23ant23503

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the information you gave.  I was considering the boot disk option at one point but I found out that If I had encrypted informatin on the cp, it will or may be lost.  I was more so hoping that you or someone on your team could help and just crack the NT hash that I provided.  I did burn the Ophcrack program but when it ran, it told me that the password was not found and I do not have the monies to get the rainbow tables or too familiar with how to work them.  If it is at all possible, can someone just crack the hash and provide me with the password??
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm sorry, but we don't do that here.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:49 am

Don already supplied you with a few possibilites you have. In terms of rainbow tables, which is again not absolute necessary in this scenario, there are also free ones available. If you are not satisfied with the free ones, there is also the possibility to generate them by yourself.

Maybe asking your cousin could solve the problem too..
<<

joshconsulting

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 pm

The password is "tempest7".  Your welcome  ;)

EDIT: Is it against the rules to crack hashes for people?  Moderators can remove my post if so, just trying to be helpful.
Last edited by joshconsulting on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

timmedin

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:48 am

If you weren't able to access the box with enough permissions to change the password how were you able to dump the hash?
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

shachola

Post Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:16 am

Thanks for you effort
Can u Please Decode this NT hash for me?
I forget the vista password that's y i need it urgently.
Regards
Shanavas

- <Password>
  <Username>admin</Username>
  <Uid>1001</Uid>
  <Sid>Unknown</Sid>
  <LMHash />
  <NTHash>2094797B3DE5DDE90CC905FF81CFBC43</NTHash>
  </Password>
  <info>mounted /sys/block/sda/sda3</info>
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:51 am

shachola wrote:Thanks for you effort
Can u Please Decode this NT hash for me?

don wrote:I'm sorry, but we don't do that here.

Don

If you need access to the system urgently take a look for any of several good and easy to use/find tools to reset the pass. For legit usage you don't need the password, just access right?
<<

rattis

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:42 pm

shachola, why do you need admin access to your office laptop?

If you're job will not allow you to change your admin password, that tells me your employer(s) decided that you do not need admin access to do your job.

I would suggest talking to your manager, or calling the help desk for help.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:58 pm

This is an excellent way to get fired for something silly.  My advice would be to leave it alone, it's not worth losing your job over.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

plan2000

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:27 am

i guess some other way to be a hero like saving rainforests etc. is more ethical :)
if you still need that kind of fame i'll suggest using several widely available online ntlm password "decrypting" sites
<<

rattis

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:07 am

shachola wrote:I thought it is vey simple to get it. If you could not help me to get it.. leave this.
But if I got it I will be a hero in our office circle which I will enjoy in my life.
Thanx for your reply.

You still haven't said exactly why you want the password. I'm going on the assumption that you're not in the IT department. Which means you're trying to by pass your company's security policy. If you really want to impress your co-workers and be a real hero, make a business case as to why you need the software you think you do.

Those are not your personal computers, they don't belong to you.

(I've had to deal with problems like this at work recently, so I'm a little bitter).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41 am

This thread is an example of why we should not service these requests in the forum. It didn't take long for a "Me too!" request to appear in the thread, did it?

Jimbob

Return to Other