CEH / InfosecInstitute Review

<<

ScrumpyJack

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:10 am

CEH / InfosecInstitute Review

Hey everyone,

I recently took the CEH v6 exam  and used InfoSecInsitute's self-paced online course for preparation, along with other books and resources.  The other resources that I used were:

Certified Ethical Hacker - Exam Prep/Michael Gregg
Ceritfied Ethical Hacker Review Guide - EC-Council/Kimberly Graves
Pass4Sure Practice Exam
Numerous other websites, wikipedia, etc.

For the InfoSecInstitute's online class, I found it quite disappointing for what I was expecting.  The video lectures were very brief and so were the labs.  The labs consisted basically of executing a few commands from a few tools with little to no explanation about the tools and the theory in practice.  If I pay $2k for a course, I want to be inundated with information and detail, but this simply wasn't the case.  I learned more on my own just by firing up BackTrack and other VMware images and practicing the concepts through that.

I believe that using Michael Gregg's Exam Prep book combined with the Pass4Sure will give a solid foundation as to how to approach the exam's questions and what areas to focus on.  However, there were still a few areas that I had little to no exposure to that I saw on the exam.  This could be because of the recent version change of the exam, but I'm not entirely sure.  Those areas were:

Active Directory
Bluetooth
GPS

Hopefully this will give some insight to others who are thinking about pursuing this certification.
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:47 am

Re: CEH / InfosecInstitute Review

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community, ScrumpyJack.

How long did you study for the exam?
Whats your background experience with security?

Just curious as I am going for CEH as well.

Interesting to read that you got questions from the areas of Bluetooth and GPS. Usually this modules should be only self-study ones and not be topics for the exam (maybe GPS in terms of the Physical Security module as some kind of GPS Tracking Device?). Not sure on Active Directory.

There was recently a thread about self-study modules and the exam which might interest you.

Btw. did you pass?
<<

ScrumpyJack

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:13 am

Not a problem.  Also, yes, I did pass.  As for my background, I don't have direct experience in the security workforce as I've been a developer since I got my bachelors, but I'm also currently pursuing a Masters in Information Security so I have a little bit of experience from that. 

I studied relatively vigorously on and off for around two months.  I made sure to spend quite a bit of time playing around with all of the tools as well and analyzing the results.  Active Directory threw me for a loop as there were a couple of questions very specific to its nature in password/security policy which I wasn't expecting.  Ah, I didn't see that other thread, but I'll be sure to add my comments to it.   
<<

venom77

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Were the labs pulled from the courseware or were they "added" labs? Who was the instructor?

Congrats on the pass! :)
<<

ScrumpyJack

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Bill,

There really wasn't an instructor per se as it was all done through recorded lectures and a lab book.  The labs were in tandem with the courseware, but they were just far too brief in content and detail for my liking. 
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:31 pm

Interesting. I did my CEH with InfoSec Inst in Orlando. It was fun and exciting. The instructor at the time was Jeremy Martin. And he was very knowledgeable. The labs I thought were fun seeing that this was my first course on IT security. So when I saw that vnc shell pop up because of metasploit it blew me away.

Then I did OSCP101 and at that point I realized that the labs in CEH were lame to say the least...lol
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

venom77

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:04 am

Ah ok, thanks. Sorry - I went through your post so quick I guess I missed the self-paced online part. I didn't even realize InfoSec Inst. offered online courses.
<<

killero

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:42 am

Has anyone use Preplogic to study for the test?
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 am

Several people here at the forums reported, that the Preplogic testexams are not very good and do not mirror very well what one will face at the real exam, although Preplogic is recommended at EC-Council's website.

Generally it is also not recommended to use any kind of brain dumps/ similar sample tests for several reasons.

I was told that the official course materials and several books, such as CEH: Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50, The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking and Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep, as well as lots of hands-on experience and practice with the covered tools in a home lab, should be enough in order to pass.

Hope that helps. ;)
<<

necdel

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 pm

I just took my CEHv6 test this morning and passed as well.  I took the InfoSec Institute Ethical Hacking and Advanced Ethical Hacking courses online.  I can definitely agree about the first course.  I was not very well impressed with the quality of the material in the Ethical Hacking course.  The advanced beat it by a long shot.  I also wish the material for the CPT and CEPT exams would be updated.  All in all though it was a fun experience, but if I was not cut a good price on taking both courses I probably would not have done it, or I would have ended up taking them live instead of online.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 am

Congrats on passing :) and thanks for the feedback!
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 am

Congratulations. ;)
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Today i received an email from David Renwald that i had passed the CPT. I've got my CEH booked in for october. The delay in taking the CEH is because InfoSec Institute has been kind enough to send me their updated review questions for CEH V6 and I have been perusing this for the moment.

I also got both the Ethical Hacking and Advanced Ethical Hacking courses as a bundle and as per mfrost above the advanced course material beats the first one by a long shot in terms of quality, depth etc.

I know from a lot of feedback from people who have attended the live training for Ethical Hacking, that it is a solid course. It seems their implementation of the online version doesn't match the same quality. However judging from the advanced ethical hacking videos they can do much better, so I hope for future students they update the ethical hacking videos to be of the same quality.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker