Sec+

<<

Laz3r

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Sec+

I just felt the urge to share the fact that I took and passed my Sec+ Exam today.  For those thinking about taking it, I can say that it's not to hard but don't underestimate it.  Now I need to line up my next course of action. I would like to get at least one more cert before I graduate in a couple months.  I'm thinking about starting on the Microsoft tests for MCSA.
<<

dalepearson

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Sec+

Congratulations Laz3r.
Good effort and well done for passing, and all the best with the future training.
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Congrats Laz3r!  I went the Microsoft route a long time ago.  I can tell you that the tests weren't too difficult, but they are definitely a pain.  Microsoft really wants you to think a certain way, and sometimes that's counter-productive.  Much of trick is just learning how to play ball by their rules :).  I would say go for the full MCSE, rather than MCSA.  I also believe they changed the names of the certs recently because they got into some trouble with the term "engineer" overseas. 

You can also think about going after CCNA, although that's not really my cup of tea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Laz3r

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks guys.  If I go for the MCSA, I'll probably tack the E on a little afterwards.  From my understanding, It's just a couple tests more.  Everything for MCSA applies to MSCE.  As somebody who still has absolutely no work experience, and a short budget, I need to choice my certs carefully.  Try to avoid overlap (for now).  I have a few books for the server and XP tests (aswell as plenty of tinkering experience with them), and Sec+ will count towards MCSA.  Since I already have everything I need for those tests, I think this would be the most cost effective option at the moment.
<<

rattis

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I've been thinking Sec+ might be the right place to start for me, for my first security cert.

Curious what materials did you like, and which ones did you think were not worth the price when studying?

*edit: and of course being excited about picking someone's brain on learning materials, I forgot to to say congratulations.
Last edited by rattis on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Laz3r, I did the entire MCSE thing on my own.  I read the books and I practiced with Transcenders test simulations.  You can totally do this without going to any bootcamps. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:58 am

Congrats Laz3r,

good to see hard work pay off.
<<

UNIX

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Congratulations, Laz3r. ;)
<<

venom77

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Congrats! :)

Yes, Sec+ counts as 1 of 4 required for MCSA. You'll need to pass a client exam (270 - XP Pro) and two administration exams (290/291, server and network services).

If you can afford it - or if you search the Internet, you can find PDF versions (of course, not that I endorse doing so ;) - I highly recommend the MS Press books. If you read them and actually do the tasks included you should have no problem passing the actual exams. Pay attention to the same questions and so forth too as you're highly likely to encounter very similar questions on the test.

And again, nice work on Sec+!

BillV
<<

Dengar13

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Congrats man.  I know I should probably take this down the road just for kicks.  How many questions and how much time is this exam these days?  I have a few books on the first version of this exam and don't know if I feel the need to buy any updated ones being that I am in the field.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

UNIX

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:13 am

Depending on the test the duration should last between 2 hours and 4 hours iiirc, questions between 45 and 90.
<<

Laz3r

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks guys.  I didn't buy much study material.  I had a this old book, and I picked up this review guide to bridge from the old test to the new test.  I also used this site.  I'm sure there are better books out there, but these worked well enough (obviously).  If you're anything like me and have trouble bringing yourself to study the boring parts, I suggest scheduling your test soon.  I scheduled mine a month out, and the time restraint forced me to study the boring stuff like fire extiguishers and hot/warm/cold sites.

The test had 100 questions and a 90 minute time limit.  Which is a lot more time then I think is necessary.  There were only a couple questions that I had to debate about the right answer, most of them were either you know it or you don't.  Which makes for a quick test.  It took me 25 minutes.

As for the MCSA/E stuff, I've got the Course Technology books for XP and the 290/291.  I'm thinking those plus some google-fu should be more than enough.
<<

rattis

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:53 pm

That review guide was one of the books I was looking at. I was looking at the deluxe study guide and another book that makes up the study pack (With the regular study guide). I checked my local library and they have very few books on the subject (read none on sec+).

As for scheduling the test for a month out and forcing the study, that didn't work with my CCNA the last time I took it. I kept pushing it out. Didn't study well either, and never had anything hands on (it had been 4 years since I touched a switch or router at the time). I even had a job depending on me getting my CCNA and still managed to fail because I didn't take my study seriously.

When I'm serious about studying, I can do even the boring parts, just takes forever to read.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:46 am

I always appreciate to read about study materials which were used to study and helped in order to pass. Especially as I would like to go for S+ as well as soon as I got my CEH.
<<

Jhaddix

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:13 am

Laz3r wrote:Thanks guys.  I didn't buy much study material.  I had a this old book, and I picked up this review guide to bridge from the old test to the new test.  I also used this site.  I'm sure there are better books out there, but these worked well enough (obviously).  If you're anything like me and have trouble bringing yourself to study the boring parts, I suggest scheduling your test soon.  I scheduled mine a month out, and the time restraint forced me to study the boring stuff like fire extiguishers and hot/warm/cold sites.

The test had 100 questions and a 90 minute time limit.  Which is a lot more time then I think is necessary.  There were only a couple questions that I had to debate about the right answer, most of them were either you know it or you don't.   Which makes for a quick test.  It took me 25 minutes.

As for the MCSA/E stuff, I've got the Course Technology books for XP and the 290/291.  I'm thinking those plus some google-fu should be more than enough.

you rock mike... grats =)
Next

Return to General Certification