New *looking for a point in a direction to get started*

<<

Dark Oracle

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:43 pm

New *looking for a point in a direction to get started*

I am new to the site and im liking what i see so far, but i cant find what im looking for and that is where do i start from where im at, I have basic knowledge of:

- A+
- N+
-TCP/IP
-Routers
-Switches
-Troubleshooting
-Windows Severs 2003
-Exchange/Outlook
-UNIX
-Solaris
-NVD
-S+
-HTML
-Windows xp/vista

I know i still need to learn linux but im not sure in how use all of it together.

Also I have a suggestion for the forums. What about putting a theard for new people, or new commers so they have a places to post / ask for help.
<<

rattis

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: New *looking for a point in a direction to get started*

Some of the stickies are pretty good for where to start.

I think the big question is what are you looking for? For example, my interest is in making my networks stronger than doing pentesting. From what I've read here, I'm leaning toward reading hacking for dummies, follow up with Sec+ for an intro-cert and then follow up with C|EH and OffSec.

(note I've got a lot of the same stuff you do skill wise, just lack any current certs, but doing IT for 13 years).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Dark Oracle

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 pm

I have read through alot of the  post, not sure of really what im looking for, I have been intersested in hacking since i was little just never got around to learning it and now im going through school for the military and that is what we learned, well expt HTML i learned that on my own, I havnt gotten any of my certs yet going to go for that after i get out of here while in college. But, I want to know more about like remote access, and how you would go by doing it, i know you have to have there IP and i know a program to do that with if there within the same network or what not, Program name called cain and able, but i want to know more about how you would go by getting in and stuff, also about building a network up so others could not get in, i have basic idea on it from my sec+ class, but its not that indeep about it.
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Welcome Dark Oracle,

If you are interested in hacking, it wouldn't hurt to start with a programming language or several.  While you can learn tools like Metasploit, Nessus, W3AF, etc, you will really understand what's happening with an exploit if you can read and write code.  Linux is also absolute a paramount skill to have in my opinion. 

Unless you are looking for work, I wouldn't start with certifications.  I would learn all I can and then figure out what you want to do.  Besides, there are a ton of posts on this forum regarding the benefits and shortcomings of pretty much every cert out there.

There are plenty of simulated hacking missions out on the web.  They are a fantastic way to learn the art without causing any damage.  If you search this forum you will find links to many.  JHaddix has quite a bit of such information on his blog and has many posts here regarding the same.  Some of the sites you can try are:

www.hackthissite.org - web app missions
www.overthewire.org - rooting missions

There are many others.  Enjoy, learn, and stick around.  There are many people here who would be happy to guide you in the right direction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Welcome to the forums, Dark Oracle.

It would help when you answer yourself the question, in what exactly you are interested. Maybe this is not so important at the very beginning, but at a certain point one have to focus on a few things in order to advance, as all subtopics themselves are so extensive, that one can't hardly be an expert in each of them.

As already written by others, take a little time to browse through the forums. There are plenty recommendations and many useful tips which should help you to proceed.
Further I would go an build a home lab if you haven't already, which will give you the opportunity to learn and test in a secure environment.

If you are looking for an entry cert, I would take a look at Security+ and CCNA.
<<

Dark Oracle

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:51 am

Thank you Ketchup and awesec, I am going into the IT field as work when i get out of school for the military, And im going for my sec+, im in a basic class for it right now and understand it, This stuff comes to me real easy, but i want to learn linux is there any free site out there that will teach you step by step how to program and read it, i want to learn all i can about computers even if its just a basic view over of it. I have wanted to learn linux for a while now just dont know where i can do so from. We do not learn that here. I am not to worried about getting certs right now but yet more on learning about how i would go by getting into systems via remote access and stuff of that nature, i know i can us a VM software on my laptop so i do not do any damage to another computer, that is not what im looking for but more of just knowing how to do so and trying those hacking missions i hear and see so much about.

If anyone has a top on this i would love to read about it. I know the basic of using telnet and stuff like that but isn't there other ways to get into another system, i have a hard time just reading others help me with this post and putting that into what im looking for and i havn't found a forum on it yet but there is alot of other information i want to get into at a later time.  But most of all i do want to learn linux in full and i would like to learn something about hacking into another system through firewalls and such of that nature. Sorry if my grammar is bad, not to good at that and English in gen, had bad elementary school teachers lol. But give me stuff with computers and i can learn it like that.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:29 am

Ketchup already mentioned a few tools which might interest you, so take a look at them. In terms of Linux (or any other OS/ Software) I would say one can learn it only when using them where which again a virtual machine fits the bill perfectly.
Also, as already written, search through the forums to get a few recommendations for books, which seems to be exactly what you are looking for (e.g. the "Hacking for Dummies", "Gray Hat Hacking", "Counterhack Reloaded", and many others). Take your time to read through threads from others as you will get plenty of information as well.

If you get stuck at any point or have difficulties to understand something completely, most people here are glad if they can help.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 am

Welcome to EH-Net.

We have a couple pinned topics in the Network Pen Testing Board that will most likely help.

Let us know what you think.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Dark Oracle

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Thank you for the advise.

Return to Tutorials