CCE, CEH, or EnCase

<<

DeShaude

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 am

CCE, CEH, or EnCase

Hello All,

First off, I just want to say I am glad I came across this forum and I thank everyone in advance for their help/advice.

I am a recent college grad (May 08) working as an IT Security consultant, and I am looking to start working my way into computer forensics. I wanted to know what certification would be best to start with? I do not have too much experience in forensics other than working a little bit with FTK in a classroom setting. Therefore, I am looking for a certification that is more of a mid-level and not to advance, since I am still wet behind the ears in the forensics area. More specifically, I am looking for an exam that is passable with little real world experience, and after taking a training course and applying one's self.

Some certifications I am considering are the CCE, CEH, and EnCase. I considered the C|HFI, but I have herd it doesnt not carry too much weight in the world of certifications.

Thank you for your help!
<<

DeShaude

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 am

Re: CCE, CEH, or EnCase

FYI .... The only other certification I have right now is my Security+

Thank you  :)
<<

venom77

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:45 am

If you want forensics, CEH is not the way to go (though it's a good entry into understanding hacking if you need that foundation).

The EnCase certification requires several years experience in the field if I remember correctly and I believe the CCE does as well.

Since you mentioned FTK, I would say to go that route. I'm pretty sure that there is no experience requirement (and they were offering the certification for free - search these forums).
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 am

CCE and EnCase certs are definitely the more respected in the forensics industry, outside of law-enforcement only certs.  CCE has added value because many states are starting to push the cert together with PI licensing in order for you to be able to do forensic investigations legally. 

EnCase cert has more value than FTK, since FTK has taken a hit with FTK 2.0.  I don't know a single soul (outside of Access Data) who is using this version.  FTK has always been considered as cumbersome.  I know several organizations that refuse to use it.  Like Bill indicated, this may be your only choice.

I believe that you have to apply to a committee in order to sit for the CCE.  There is an experience and credential requirement, which may have become more strict in the last few years.    For EnCE, you need need to have 64 hours of authorized computer forensic training OR have 12 Months computer forensic experience.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

DeShaude

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks guys for your help! It looks like the CCE might be somewhat less intense than the EnCase (emphasis on somewhat  :-\ ). And I am only required to attend a certified training. I think I will go for the CCE. 
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

CCE should be fairly attainable.  When my coworkers took it, the written portion was open book.  The exam was fairly simple as well.  Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jack_jais

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 am

As per our educational expert for security career of Jodo Institute  there are three levels:
1 Entry level : MCSE, CCNA, CEH (Appin Degree is not recognised as global certification)
2 specialization level: CCNA Security, CCSP, CCSA.
3 Expert Level: CISSP, CCIE Security (for expert level you need to have five yrs of experience in Security)

www.jodoinstitute.com
<<

snortymcsnort

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:54 am

If you are familiar with FTK, you should at least give the ACE certification a look.  It is free (at least until you renew) and there is a good study guide available on the AccessData site.  It also includes a practical in the exam which will give you some experience which you will need if you decide to pursue the CCE or EnCE

Return to General Certification