RarCrack - not exactly accurate

<<

Data_Raid

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:19 pm

RarCrack - not exactly accurate

Anyone used RarCrack before, with success?  :)
Out of curiosity I have been running some tests on my system using rarcrack 0.2 using a personal rar file with a password of "pAssw0rd" (zero not o) and after a few minutes of running the program the program says that the password has been cracked and is "5Di"
I then thought I'd try a shorter password of "D00dle" (zeros not o's) on a new rar file and ran rarcrack again and this time the password was cracked with a password of "91t"
The test.rar file that came with the rarcrack program was cracked correctly but had a simple password of "100"

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had similar results with rarcrack
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

jimbob

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:06 am

Re: RarCrack - not exactly accurate

Given the short password length I would guess that the tool is finding false positives early on in the search. Does the tool stop running when it finds the false hit?

Jimbob
<<

Data_Raid

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm

jimbob wrote:Given the short password length I would guess that the tool is finding false positives early on in the search. Does the tool stop running when it finds the false hit?

Jimbob

Yep, Rarcrack stops and says that the password was cracked.
When RarCrack runs, it creates an xml file for the current rar file you're trying to crack, if the password has been cracked (or at least thinks its cracked) the xml file will contain the cracked password for example: <good_password>5Di</good_password> I also edited the xml file and removed the cracked password as well as modifying the <current></current> info so that Rarcrack won't continue and falsely crack the password again. I then ran Rarcrack again and this time the password was falsely cracked with the password "eW4"

I'll try rarcrack from the BT distro and see if I get the same results.

Aristotle
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:27 pm

My guess it's a version issue.  It's probably trying to crack a version of the RAR file it's not designed for. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Data_Raid

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 am

Just an update on Rarcrack. Using Rarcrack from the BT distro seems to work much better than rarcrack on my openSUSE 64bit system. So far I haven't had any false positives but I haven't had any successful cracks either and rarcrack has been running continuously for 3 days  :)

Aristotle

Return to Tools