Writing a book

<<

UNIX

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:19 am

Writing a book

Writing a book is one of a few goals I have and would like to achieve in future. I like the idea to teach others this way and forward a little of my knowledge I have. As I know a few authors I know how time consuming this is and that it means a lot of work - though I am sure that I will enjoy it, as I already do enjoy writing articles.

As I know that some other members at EH-Net would like to write a book too or at least thought about it, I thought I could start this thread to have everything together.

Are there any members who would like to write a book seriously and would like to work together or would be interested in some kind of co-authoring (e.g that I could contribute a few chapters)?
Are there any famous authors already lurking around at EH-Net?

I am in no hurry with this, just wanted to ask prior.
<<

Jhaddix

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Writing a book

I will gladly contribute, as i was thinking of co-authorship for a book in the future.
<<

jason

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:07 am

I'm interested as well. This has been on my goals list for a while too. I've published a few papers, mostly in the ISSA journal.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

Yep, would be interested in this as well.

We could probably round-up enough people here and make some sort or large 'EH-Net' publication. I'm pretty sure Don has a few publishing contacts...
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 am

That would be really awesome. Considering the knowledge of some people here it probably would result in a great book. I don't know if too many cooks spoil the soup..though I have read some books where many authors worked together and thought that the books were good.

Did someone already made some sort of concept or similar? I assume that most of us would be interested in writing a book about penetration testing but this covers many topics. Maybe we could do something like Gray Hat Hacking : The Ethical Hacker's Handbook which covers many different topics which are still related to each other. Just an idea..

If somewhen we really get through this and everything works out fine, I see no reason why no further books couldn't be written by us. :)

Nice to see that others would be interested too.
Last edited by UNIX on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

I do know most of the publishers and have been approached by them for the DIY Career in Ethical Hacking and other ideas. In consulting with a number of friends who have published books, the ROI is not good. So although it is a goal of mine, it has gone down the priority list.

Then again, maybe we create our own ePublishing House.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

jason

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:36 pm

I'd be more interested in working on a gen-u-wine old fashioned paper book than an e-book  :P
<<

Laz3r

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:17 pm

I wouldn't be of any use as an author, but I'd be willing to offer some help with anything else that might need work on the project.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm

What is ROI?

Personally I would be more interested in a printed book too, which is because I prefer to have something in my hands when I read something. Though I read much on the computer, I always prefer paper if possible.

Laz3r, I think there would be many other ways one can help with this without actually writing. Reviewing, Proof/ Beta-reading, contributing ideas and suggestions etc., so enough work would be still available. ;)
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

I'd certainly be interested too. Perhaps it might be a good idea to work with others on eh.net on smaller goals first like papers to get who gets on with who creatively. That could mean more content for the site and some cool networking for those involved.

Jimbob
<<

Laz3r

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 pm

ROI = Return on Investment
<<

Bane

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 pm

I would be interested in collaborating also. Writing has been on my list of things to do for quite awhile.
<<

timmedin

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 pm

don wrote:I do know most of the publishers and have been approached by them for the DIY Career in Ethical Hacking and other ideas. In consulting with a number of friends who have published books, the ROI is not good. So although it is a goal of mine, it has gone down the priority list.

I've always been interested in this too. I understand that the direct ROI isn't good, but the indirect career investment is where the benefits would realized. Of course, calculating the return is always hard.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:10 am

It seems there shouldn't be a problem with authors. :)

Any thoughts/ comments/ suggestions etc. on this:
Did someone already made some sort of concept or similar? I assume that most of us would be interested in writing a book about penetration testing but this covers many topics. Maybe we could do something like Gray Hat Hacking : The Ethical Hacker's Handbook which covers many different topics which are still related to each other. Just an idea..

Or any other ideas on how to actually start? Probably it wouldn't be a bad idea if we make some kind of write-up, summarizing topics one have knowledge of/ would like to write/ contribute about etc.
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Id like to be involved too!  :) I would be interested in wrtting a few topics. What kind of book are you guys looking at writting? A general ethical hacking/penetration testing book?

A good idea would be to use an online colaboration revision type application for the writting. (Google docs?)

A good start would be to come up with a list of the people involved, a tittle and a list of topics you would like to include.
Next

Return to Career Central