CEH or LPT

<<

T_Bone

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:50 am

CEH or LPT

Hi Guys

I passed the Comptia Security+ this month and am currently studying for the GCIH exam ( thank you SANS for the facilitator position! :) ) The material covered in the course looks to be very similar to the CEH exam and decided i might as well go for that aswell afterwards.  My questions is which would be more relevant out of CEH or LPT? It looks like the LPT is in more depth and was wondering how much more difficult it is?

Cheers
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: CEH or LPT

As far as I know you have to do CEH and ECSA anyway, before you can go for LPT. Therefore I assume that LPT is more advanced than CEH.
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:21 am

Here you can find the requirements for LPT on EC-Council's website.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:00 am

You'll find that most of the 'ethical hacking' type certifications are all very similar... whether it's GCIH, CEH, OSCP, CPTS, GPEN, LPT etc.

There's only so much information they can put into that type of course. The CEH is an introductory course and will run you through the basics and throw a whole bunch of tools at you. The ECSA builds on that a bit and actually focuses on specific tools. The LPT brings in the EC-Council methodology and business aspect - much like the GPEN.

And yes, you must obtain CEH and then ECSA prior to applying for the LPT.

BillV
<<

SynJunkie

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 am

I'll echo BillyV's comment regarding the CEH and tools.  I did the version 5 of the course and was quite let down by the emphasis on the tools rather than the methodology and techniques.  I hope that this has changed in later revision of the course.

I also passed the Security + recently and although i'm currently working on a CCNA I think the GCIH looks like an interesting option for next year.

Good luck.
----------------------------------
http://synjunkie.blogspot.com
<<

T_Bone

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:37 am

thanks, i think i will stick to the GCIH and head towards the GPEN as it will probably be more worthwhile. 

Return to General Certification