Hacking For Dummies 3rd edition?

<<

rattis

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Hacking For Dummies 3rd edition?

I stopped at Borders tonight, to thumb through the book before ording it from Amazon. I ended up having to use their search kiosk (couldn't find the security section after recent remodel).

The store was out of the book, but according to the info page, a new edition is due out in December...

Would it be worth the wait for the new edition or will the old one be good enough for learning?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: Hacking For Dummies 3rd edition?

I would say don't wait. If you plan on reading it now and then moving on with learning more, the amount you will learn between now and Dec should definitely outweigh the difference between the second and third edition.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

rattis

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 pm

I have a couple of books including the 800+ page Nagios book. So it would be a couple of months before I can even get around to reading it.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

UNIX

Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 am

Well, if you have enough study material at the moment and wouldn't be able to read the mentioned book yet, I would wait until you finished you other books and then buy the new edition.

Otherwise I would adhere to don's recommendation.
<<

rattis

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:03 pm

I used my Safari account and started reading the 2nd edition. I've only got a little way in, in the first part of the book (first 2 chapters down). Kind of wish I bought the second edition now. So far it's been an easy read. I expect that to change in part 2.

Really enjoying the book though. Even if I do finish it before 3rd comes out, I'll probably buy third and read that too.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Book Reviews