Starting at the beginning

<<

Verojja

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:50 am

Starting at the beginning

Maybe some of you will remember,

"A long time ago in a distant universe, you had just set out on your path of computer knowledge. You had no certifications to your name and only a few months of wrt open source and exploit toying under your belt. Pretty much your only positive was that you had a passion for learning."
Well, thats me.

I'm on fire for this stuff, and acquiring knowledge has become more fun than gaming for me. I discovered this site while following links from open-source guides to hacking communities, and while the courses listed here are certainly attractive (more so due to the expired giveaway that initially lured me here) I have a serious objections to waisting anyone's time and I question whether I'm even qualified to take the courses offered here.

Now that you know my story, I'll begin by apologizing for the long intro (my objection to time-waisting was sincere), before requesting any suggestions for books, classes, movies, guides or websites that apply to offensive security and ethical hacking.
Just to note, I don't have a lack of reading material (the internet is wonderful) however I do recognize the value of a good source.

So to reiterate:
Anything you guys can remember that really helped when you were just starting out or that sparked your interest.

Sincerely, 4 n00b.

ps. my intentions are ethical and hopefully *distant, distant future* job related.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Starting at the beginning

Welcome to EH-Net. Learning is a definite focus of this site as well as career advancement, so you're in the right place. As for taking the courses mentioned on the site, you don't have to take them to participate here. Your thirst for knowledge is plenty.

For a good starting point, try the pinned topics at the top of the Network Pen Testing Board.

Hope that helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

rattis

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Verojja

I'm just starting out, but here's how I'm doing it.

I'm looking at getting Hackers For Dummies http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Dummies-C ... 149&sr=8-1

Then I'm going to build a virtual server based lab to start, modifying for my choice of VM software based on this post.
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,4394.0/

I'm also thinking about these books too:
Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition
Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-by-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses (2nd Edition)

The book that got me thinking about getting serious again in the Security part of my job:
Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll (Author's experience tracking down a cracker)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Laz3r

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Books are a great way to start and, as you mentioned, the internet is flooded with good information.  I'm sure most people would agree that there is no specific way to go about learning.  If you don't already have it, a strong understanding of Networking is pretty important.  It makes you a stronger ethical hacker/pentester.  It can also help when documenting and reporting any findings.  Most importantly (for me at least), I had to do it.  Hands on experience is huge.  Chrisj's link is a great one, though my opinion is probably biased.  As a testament to how easy it is to set up a lab, I did the video while I learned how to set up the labs.
<<

UNIX

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 am

Welcome to EH-Net, Verojja. When you have already enough study material I would just begin with that what interests you most. Depending on your available equipment I would recommend to build a home lab which helps you to get some experience and practice with tools needed in itsec. I guess for beginning this is already enough and should keep you busy for quite a while. You may search the forums for some more recommendations already given.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, most people here are eager to help. ;)

Return to General Certification