Review - The Art of Deception

<<

UNIX

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:31 am

Review - The Art of Deception

A short review I did on The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick.

The Art of Deception is organized in 4 parts. Before the first part begins an introduction and a little biography are given for all those who don't know Kevin Mitnick at this point. The first part then gives an introduction to Mitnick's background and information on incidents such as the Rifkin's 10$ million bank theft and explains the basic ideas behind social engineering.

The second and third part make up the most of the book and includes several subchapters which covers different storys on social engineering, such as gaining valuable information by simply asking or by pretending to be someone else. Often the first information gained will be used to extend the knowledge by using it to exploit further persons and to gain access to resources which would be normally prohibited for the average person. The fictional stories in those chapters are quite basic and should be easy to understand. Most tactics used were to pretend to be someone who would normally have legal access to the resources of interest but for some reason not at the moment or by pretending to be under enormous time pressure.

The full review is available at my website www.awesec.com.

Comments are appreciated. :)
<<

ethicalhack3r

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Review - The Art of Deception

Nice review, I havent read this one yet however I have read Mitnick's other book 'The art of Intrusion'. Great stories, easy to read and gives a good idea to beginners how hackers (black and white) go about their exploits.

Also... really cool website! Are you on Twitter?
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 am

Glad you like it. I haven't read The Art of Intrusion but it is on my endless list of books to read.

Thanks for the kind words in terms of my website, it's much appreciated. :)
I have no Twitter account, sorry.
<<

timmedin

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:19 pm

I read this book a while ago. It was interesting, but the writing style seemed a bit 6th grade to me. Don't get me wrong, the content is very intriguing, but I'm not a fan of the writing.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:23 am

I agree with you that the writing style was very simple, even for me as a non-native English speaker. Though I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to people interested in SE and security/ awareness in general.

Return to Book Reviews