Review - Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing

<<

UNIX

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:25 am

Review - Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing

I did a review on the book Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing, Exploit Development, and Vulnerability Research..hope you like it.

The book is divided into 5 chapters (Introduction to Metasploit, Architecture, Environment, and Installation, Metasploit Framework and Advanced Environment Configurations, Advanced Payloads and Add-on Modules and Adding new Payloads) and 5 case studies.

The first chapter gives an introduction to Metasploit for those who are not familiar with it yet. The reader will know after reading this how it is structured, Metasploit's history, short description of some payloads etc. Unfortunately the authors did not explain why to use one over the other payload or give a more detailed explanation on them.

Chapter two explains how to actually install Metasploit and advices to keep your system up to date.

Chapter three is as short as chapter two (11 pages versus 5 pages) and only covers some basic knowledge about the content of your Metasploit framework installation directory and how to use the setg-command.

The fourth chapter covers meterpreter, VNC inject and PassiveX payloads, auxiliary modules and automation of a pen-test with autopwn. As this chapter is again very short (18 pages) it is lacking in detail and only provides a brief overview of the mentioned topics although it is not that bad at all.

Adding new Payloads which is the title of the fifth and last chapter, finally gives a good explanation on MSF 3.x (which the whole book should have covered) and how to add new exploit and auxiliary payloads as well as building a SIP invite auxiliary module. Although a short chapter too it is well written and explains the tasks in an easy to follow way.

Full review can be read at www.awesec.com.

I know that this book is already outdated and many reviews are already available, but as I had the opportunity to get my hands on a copy of it, i still decided to read through it and write a little review.

More reviews to come. :)
Last edited by UNIX on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

timmedin

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Review - Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing

Any idea at what point in time the book was written? MSF changes so fast
thanks so HD Moore and crew.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

dalepearson

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:33 am

Book is from 2007 if I remember currently, I have not read / reviewed the book myself but I dont think there are any current alternatives.
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:57 am

The book was written/ published on September 1, 2007. I haven't found any good alternatives covering metasploit, though I am quite sure that one will come sooner or later, hopefully from Moore himself.

However, there are some resources available at the internet which are in my opinion better than the book from above.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 am

awesec wrote:However, there are some resources available at the internet which are in my opinion better than the book from above.

Any links in particular you're willing to share?
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:20 am

Sure. I will check my booksmarks when I am at home and update this post. If I remember correctly I had a few ones where I thought that are good to read.
Should I forget it please feel free to remind me via PM.
<<

Jhaddix

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Offsec should have some stuff coming along soon for free MSF training, also The Academy pro has a metasploit category, and Rob fuller will be doing their trianing on pentesting w/BT4 which has plenty of practical MSF =)
<<

TalioGladius

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:45 pm

I wish they'd release a new version of this one.
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Totally forgot about this one. Seems I can't find the correct bookmarks I made some time ago. Guess I will have to go through all bookmarks I have and sort them out a little, already lost the overview of them.
<<

Stocky

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:46 pm

<<

3PIL0GU3

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:09 am

While im still in the process of completing this Hackerdemia disc for Heorot.net, i had a gander at some of the powerpoint archieves that HDM had prepared on the future of the MSF sounds interesting can't wait to see how it continues in its development lifecycle over the next few years/
----------------------------
CEH

Return to Book Reviews