Are you an Obi-wan?

<<

Kev

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:52 am

Are you an Obi-wan?

My 15 year old nephew was asking me to explain what a CEH does and how is it different from a so called black hat. I explained that we use similar techniques but with different ends in mind. We are there to help and protect and do no harm. We have a strict “rules of engagement.”  He then came back with “So you are like Obi wan from star wars.”  I was a little confused and asked him to explain.  He then said “Well the Jedi warriors use the good side of the force to help while the bad Jedi use the dark side of the force for harm.” I had to laugh for a moment but then thought hey that’s kind of cool if a 15 year old sees us that way, lol!  May the force be with you. 
<<

oyle

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Re: Are you an Obi-wan?

Kev wrote:My 15 year old nephew was asking me to explain what a CEH does and how is it different from a so called black hat. I explained that we use similar techniques but with different ends in mind. We are there to help and protect and do no harm. We have a strict “rules of engagement.”  He then came back with “So you are like Obi wan from star wars.”  I was a little confused and asked him to explain.  He then said “Well the Jedi warriors use the good side of the force to help while the bad Jedi use the dark side of the force for harm.” I had to laugh for a moment but then thought hey that’s kind of cool if a 15 year old sees us that way, lol!  May the force be with you. 

Darn, guess you can't tell him, "I am your Father,<insert nephew's name here>" But at least you can breathe real heavy, and turn and walk away.
There is a software program used by hackers, called, "Obi-Wan", so he's on the right track. It's covered in Module 13, "Web Based Password Cracking Techniques" in the Ceh Study Group
Last edited by oyle on Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:06 pm

laughing out loud! True that Bro!
<<

morpheus063

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:34 am

Hi All,

What a co-incidence? (or was the kiddie smart enough that he is already using the Obi-WaN  ??? ). Any way, as Oyle pointed out, it is used for brute force authentication attack against Webserver with authentication requests - and in fact to break in insecure accounts.

Regards,

Morpheus
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Hug_It

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:14 am

You got to watch those kids. My daughter seemed to always take a strong interest in what I did and asked a lot of questions. I monitor her online activity and always preached responsible computer use so I never thought much of it. Until one night I got a call from the local Sherif's Department.

While staying at a friends house her and her friend thought it would be a good idea to take revenge on a girl they didn't like by getting into her email account, submitting a lost password request to her free web hosting company and then defacing her site with some rather distasteful comments about the girl.

When confronted my daughter knew she had did wrong and I believe was truly sorry for what she had done but she had no idea what she was doing was a felony. And that's what they were going to charge her with. Luckly, after talking over the case with the deputy we agreed to try to get the other girl to drop the charges, which she did.

They can easily be swayed by the dark side!
CISSP
<<

morpheus063

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Hug_It wrote:You got to watch those kids. My daughter seemed to always take a strong interest in what I did and asked a lot of questions. I monitor her online activity and always preached responsible computer use so I never thought much of it. Until one night I got a call from the local Sherif's Department.

While staying at a friends house her and her friend thought it would be a good idea to take revenge on a girl they didn't like by getting into her email account, submitting a lost password request to her free web hosting company and then defacing her site with some rather distasteful comments about the girl.

When confronted my daughter knew she had did wrong and I believe was truly sorry for what she had done but she had no idea what she was doing was a felony. And that's what they were going to charge her with. Luckly, after talking over the case with the deputy we agreed to try to get the other girl to drop the charges, which she did.

They can easily be swayed by the dark side!

When people like Hug_It come out with true stories like the one mentioned above, we realize the importance of Information Security and its impact on our daily life. The young generations should be mentored, educated, trained and motivated to become true good Internet Citizens. 
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Hug_It

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Oh I motivated her alright!  ;)
CISSP

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net