Real Black Hats Hack Security Experts on Eve of Conference

<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:26 am

Real Black Hats Hack Security Experts on Eve of Conference

LAS VEGAS — Two noted security professionals were targeted this week by hackers who broke into their web pages, stole personal data and posted it online on the eve of the Black Hat security conference.

Security researcher Dan Kaminsky and former hacker Kevin Mitnick were targeted because of their high profiles, and because the intruders consider the two notables to be posers who hype themselves and do little to increase security, according to a note the hackers posted in a file left on Kaminsky’s site.

The files taken from Kaminsky’s server included private e-mails between Kaminisky and other security researchers, highly personal chat logs, and a list of files he has purportedly downloaded that pertain to dating and other topics.

Read full article.
<<

MadmanTM

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: Real Black Hats Hack Security Experts on Eve of Conference

i would like to have both versions of the story before passing judgement.

But it's impressive.
Network+, Security+
CEH Soon.
<<

Otter

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:17 am

Re: Real Black Hats Hack Security Experts on Eve of Conference

MadmanTM wrote:i would like to have both versions of the story before passing judgement.

But it's impressive.

Mighty impressive.  Kaminsky took it in stride with several self effacing jabs at himself with the leaking of his passwords in the hack. 

You can find the attacker's treatise and all the info they grabbed in their massive txt file missive.  I'd suggest wget and reading it in less or more

http://r00tsecurity.org/files/zf05.txt

Return to News from the Outside World