Just Starting Out

<<

JustStartingOut

Post Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Just Starting Out

Hi, I've recently become interested in computers because of movies like "Hackers," "Sneakers," and "Wargames."  And I have decided that I would very much like to become a great computer programmer / hacker.

"Programming from the Ground Up" By: Johnathan Bartlett.  It deals with Linux and Assembly language.

Is this a good book to start learning about computers and how to program?

I'm 15 years old and I have A TON of time on my hands.  So, what would you recommend?

Thanks!!!
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Just Starting Out

Hello and welcome to EH-Net.

First off I would like to mention that those are, as you already wrote by yourself, movies. Therefore it can be assumed that security is not really like what it is shown there. Certainly it is interesting, challenging etc., but often it can also be "boring", e.g. writing reports, study code for hours, prepare presentations etc.
It is not that one is always occupied with saving the world from hackers who try to launch nuclear missiles. ;)

I haven't read the book you mentioned, but a book which is from time to time recommended to newcomers is Hacking For Dummies (Dummies is ment in terms of easy understanding).
If you are more interested in programming there should be available quite a few books aiming at beginners. If I remember correctly, there should also be a book from the "... for Dummies" series teaching basic programming.

Also be sure to check this and similar websites as they contain many questions you may have already answered.
You will also find many recommendations about programming languages which newcomers should first learn before going to more advanced ones (e.g. Visual Basic, Python, HTML, etc.).

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, most people here are always glad to help infosec fellows. ;)
<<

sync

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm new to this site as well, but I've been in the networking / security field for quite a few years now.  At this point, the most important thing you can do is study, study, study.  Learn all you can.  FInd what interests you.  Start up a blog and pass along what you learn.  Writing what you learn will help you retain the information you come across.  Just take time, and keep an open mind.  And make sure you keep it fun :D
It's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
<<

impelse

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:58 pm

That's great, always learning.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
CEH
Online Pentest lab: http://www.thehost1.com/
Blog: http://blog.thehost1.com/

Return to Programming