Can i access a hard drive using ip

<<

nithinankam

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:50 am

Can i access a hard drive using ip

Hello,

Can i access a hard drive of a friend if i have his ip address and if the ports are open.... if yes please tell me the procedure... i am using windows xp....
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:08 am

Re: Can i access a hard drive using ip

Hi and welcome to Ethical Hacker Network.

In general it should be possible to get access to the HDD if you know the ip address of your "victims" machine. However, there is no procedure to do this which can be applied to each scenario.
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:09 am

Awesec beat me to it - highlighted in bold.

To the OP, why would you want to access your "friends" hard drive? If she/he's your friend surely she/he can provide you with the information you require upon request? ;)
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

nithinankam

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:23 pm

hmmm  he actually accessed my hard drive..... fellow lives in n other city... So wanna suprise him..... m able to get his Ip But unable to proceed, Sure there must be a basic procedure rite.... It would if helpful if u would  guide me.... by givin me the basic trail n error methods fo doin it..:)

regards
<<

Ignatius

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 pm

If it were as easy as that, everyone would be doing it.  You need to understand how networks work, about security and how to exploit vulnerabilities in the target system.  There's no "one size fits all" solution.
<<

Rafter

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:20 am

The problem for begginers (the way i see it) is where to start, (i am a begginer as well), so i think that what nithinankam, I and a lot of people want to know is how can we start
Ignatius wrote: to understand how networks work, about security and how to exploit vulnerabilities in the target system. 
<<

jason

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Rafter wrote:so i think that what nithinankam, I and a lot of people want to know is how can we start

Google and your local library. No one here is going to hand you hacking instructions on a silver platter. If that's what you're after, then you'll be needing to look for a different forum.
Last edited by jason on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

enzo

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:03 am

Aww, bless, I remember how that used to feel... Where do I start??? Best answer, pick up a hacking book like The Unofficial Guide to Ethical Hacking (Paperback) and start from page one, when you get halfway through the book you'll be brimming with the Basic's and then it's just a case of putting it into application.

The Unofficial Guide to Ethical Hacking (Paperback)
by Anklt Fadia (Author)

# Paperback: 864 pages <-- Almost as big as the Bible!
# Publisher: Course Technology Inc; 2nd Revised edition edition (13 Oct 2005)
# Language English
# ISBN-10: 1598630628
# ISBN-13: 978-1598630626
# Product Dimensions: 23.1 x 18.8 x 5.8 cm

N.B: This product was printed in 2005 and so in some respects the info it contains will be a little stale but still a very informative and a very worthwhile read. :)

P.S: They have it on eBay, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Last edited by enzo on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Really? A recommendation for that book? I thought it was absolutely useless - my opinion of course. :-\
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Try the pinned topics in the Network Pen Testing Board. Great suggestions for where to start and then some.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 pm

TCP/IP and basic networking are your friends.  Pick up a book on these, and find out why things work the way they work. 
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

enzo

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 pm

BillV wrote:Really? A recommendation for that book? I thought it was absolutely useless - my opinion of course. :-\

I found it very informative but bearing in mind I bought the first edition when it came into print, I loved reading about XOR and all the other tid'bits proved very useful, it explains networking, it explains RATS, although at the time of reading it I was already familiar with Diablo Keyspy and the work of the likes of the cDc, fearless and evil eye software, although I think nowadays the newer versions of such bits of script kiddie heaven go by the labels of Poison Ivy, Nuclear Winter and Lost-Door. But I remember a time when God Message and Back-Orafice & Sub-Seven where the bad boys on the block...

For remote administration so to speak ;)

At the time I wasan avid subseven fan, heck I used to use UPX to repack my own very edited AXE Hex Edited server and I still remember one of my school buddies saying check this out, this is smoothwall and this is my redhat box, I am untouchable... When I sent him a freeware copy of Pac-Man he couldnt resist going 'click, click, clickety, click!' the result was his awsome firewall did not even fart, he only knew when I called him up and said is this your online bank account number and is that really your password... Dude you need to add more chars into your security and from that moment forwards we spent every waking day saying to each other have you seen this in correspondence and sharing bits of things that we both found, our activities earned us both a very deserving ban from America Online (AOL) shame to admit that yes I was a lame AOL user and my monthly bill on dial-up once exceeded $875 for one months worth of use.

We're still in touch to this day and he is still a windows whore but I went totally the other way and embraced GNU and Open Source, sadly my best friends only experiance is with RedHat and that is why he tells me Linux is rubbish, he spent maybe all of a month trying to figure out how apache worked with me sitting on high saying, read the bloody manual. :P

When people say networking, I just think of Snort and Squil.. :D
Last edited by enzo on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.

Return to Tutorials