WiFi Hotspot work around

<<

Maverick3n1

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:44 pm

WiFi Hotspot work around

Could you work past a Wi-Fi hotspot's login page by setting a static DNS, but dynamic IP when logging onto the HotSpot's WAP?  That way rather than using the DNS that it dynamically assigns you, which forces you to their website, where you have to pay and login, you can simply manually input your DNS info and not get forced to their login page?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 am

Re: WiFi Hotspot work around

Maverick3n1,

that will depend on the exact configuration of the hotspot provider's architecture. Most that I know redirect all port 80 and 443 traffic through their systems. DNS redirection doesn't play a part, any traffic over the hotspot has to be routed through their gateway router, so they can do anything they want with any traffic they want.

There are known and well publicised ways around this in some systems, google is your friend; you do have permission to test/bypass this yes? :)
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 am

Maverick3n1,
its been a while since I looked at this, but you might want to look at Rob's blog for some ideas.

http://www.room362.com/archives/456-ozymandns-tunneling-ssh-over-dns.html
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:28 am

Assuming, as Andrew Waite mentions, you have permission to be testing against this wireless hotspot, you have other options, such as ARP spoofing, to grab cookies / credentials from another user's session.  It's not a difficult trick, so long as others are accessing it.

This might be necessary, as well, as many public hotspots also have dedicated proxies that require authentication sitting between the hotspot and the rest of the network, and unless you can authenticate to the proxy, you'll be out of luck.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Maverick3n1

Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:14 pm

I somehow doubt the hotel would want me bypassing their $15 per day charge to surf the web... I don't like the idea of spoofing the ARP and grabbing people's credentials, although I have seen that idea mentioned.  It's not my intent to do any harm to someone's network, or gain usernames/passwords of other members.

It's one of those things where I'm getting sent out of town for training, company isn't paying me Per Diem, yet I'm stuck somewhere else, having to eat out since I can't just cook something at home, yet no extra money to compensate.  Nothing to do, and no extra cash to go out on the town when I'm not in training, so all I can do is sit on my butt afterwards in an empty hotel room.  I'd like to at least be able to use the internet.  The overpriced hotel here however doesn't include internet with your room, even after paying the outrageous prices the hotel is charging for a single room (almost $200 per day), no discount on the room even though the training session is also being held in their hotel.  Internet is an additional $15 per day.  They then continue to slap you in the face with an additional $20+ per day for parking (Not included in your room fees either).  I was hoping to find some sort of simple loophole where I'd be able to surf the web, access forums/email, and maybe chat on YahooIM/AIM to kill the boring nights excess time.  I guess you can call it stealing/unethical to bypass it, but at the same time, it seems unethical for them to charge for it, and especially a price like that.  I know big wig corporate people who stay there can care less as they've got so much money they can simply expense it.  The little man however isn't so lucky.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 am

Maverick3n1,

I appreciate your situation, but as I've had experience running systems similar to the ones you're trying to bypass I'm afraid I can't help much further.

However I've known similar people in the same situation and if you off site regularly or for an extend period look for a 3g dongle. Don't know the situation in the US, but in the UK you can often pick up the required device and connection for about the same cost as you would paying the (admittedly inflated) wireless connection prices, and you get to keep your connection after you leave the hotel.

I know it's still an expense, but it is legal....
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:26 am

BTW, another approach may be to look into tethering your cell phone as a modem.  This is legal and many times you can do this without paying extra fees.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Maverick3n1

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 pm

My cell phone is through my company, and even though it's a crackberry, it costs an additional $30 per month to have the tethering service on the phone.  I don't travel much, and I don't need to be in some fancy hotel, but where I'm going, and where the training is, it's all next to a major airport, all of the hotels are expensive, and the company decides where they put me, so I didn't have much say in the matter.  With today's economy, it's kind of tough to bitch at those who give you a paycheck, and these people take advantage of it, consistantly reminding employees of "be thankful you still have a job", regardless of the fact that people haven't received raises in 3 years and were already underpaid to begin with.  I had hoped things would improve, but job security is more important at this stage in the economy, then trying to jump ship now with businesses dropping like flys.
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:04 am

Maverick3n1, I don't have a blackberry, but this software may allow you to get around the monthly tether fee:

http://www.mobishark.com/

I use a similar product on my Treo.  I do not pay a tether fee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Ignatius

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Hey Ketchup - I've already approached my mobile provider about upgrading to a Treo.  Can you let me have details of the product that you use please?
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 pm

Certainly:

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/

BTW, I am not sure if it's an upgrade :)  The verdict is still out on that for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Ignatius

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:19 am

Brilliant - I just want to get the Treo into my hands now to start playing!

Return to Wireless