Hi-Tech hacking...

<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi-Tech hacking...

Wow... glad I'm not feeling quite this 'technically adept!'  But always interesting to see the new ideas and methods people come up with to potentially steal data:

"How to use electrical outlets and cheap lasers to steal data"

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/0 ... tml?page=1

Tim (Hayabusa0194)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

former33t

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Hi-Tech hacking...

The grounding "attack" has been around for decades.  DoD called it TEMPEST.  This was HUGE overseas where we only get a plot of land and then the "host" country can run a ground rod horizontally under the facility and tie into your ground.  Takes this grounding thing to a whole new level.

The laser "hack" is also not new.  This has been done by spy agencies for years (at least).

I was surprised to see that the laser trick could be done for so little money.  I thought it required a MUCH more powerful and expensive laser.

Most of the cost in the equipment for the grounding hack comes from getting equipment that is less than noisy.  Most radio shack and consumer grade electronics don't worry about a little noise.  You can't have ANY noise feeding back into your measurement equipment for this hack to work.  I'm surprised they got a setup together for $500 that could monitor 15 meters away.  Can't wait for the parts list.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Hi-Tech hacking...

I am with former33t on this one.  TEMPEST has been around for a long long time, but I always thought it was too expensive to use on a regular basis.  $500 is quite affordable, and I am also curious about the part list.  Is there a video link to the presentation yet?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup

Return to News from the Outside World