dd-wrt on linksys wrt54g

<<

venom77

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm

dd-wrt on linksys wrt54g

Does anyone else run DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G or similar?

I'm attempting to do it, and trying to setup the firewall via iptables, but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it working. It just acts like it doesn't want to work properly. The interfaces don't seem to have the manageability they're supposed to.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

If not, can anyone recommend a small device that I can put iptables on to run a firewall that works? My objective is to not have to use an entire computer just to run a firewall.

Thanks!

Bill
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: dd-wrt on linksys wrt54g

I used it for a short time as I did some testing, but it worked fine when played around with it (though not sure if I used anything with iptables).

You may check out tomato firmware which is quite good.
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:14 pm

I have used DD-WRT before on a similar wireless router, but primarily to improve the wireless capabilities.  I know that it has a nice gui for managing firewall rules. 

I use a distro of Linux called IpCop at home with an ancient small form factor Compaq workstation.  It sits somewhere in my cluttered office and works great.  I even have snort working on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:18 pm

awesec wrote:You may check out tomato firmware which is quite good.

Bam! Thanks man! That just about did the trick... this one actually functions properly the way it should.

My only hurdle now is trying to figure out how I can segregate the LAN/ports traffic from the wireless traffic. Do you know how to do this?

There are 5 interfaces (similar to DD-WRT):

br0 - a bridge of ports and wireless (this is the only internal one that works)
eth0 - supposed to represent just ports
eth1 - supposed to be just wireless
vlan0 - not sure what it is (but same MAC as br0/eth0)
vlan1 - WAN connection (also works)

So, what I've done for testing is created rules in order to forward traffic through vlan0, then eth1, then eth0 and finally br0. The only rule that gets traffic is the last, br0.

My router is currently configured to allow traffic forwarded from br0 to vlan1 and vice-versa (standard firewall). What I'd like to do (and what I've done with a standard computer) is configure rules that separate the ports and wifi traffic.. so I can basically stop wifi addresses from pinging/accessing stuff on the wired network and limit what can be accessed to/from the Internet as well. Make sense?

Ketchup - yeah, I use something similar, an old Dell tower with EnGarde running on it. Works very well! Just looking to not have to use an entire computer in this case. Thanks!
<<

UNIX

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:30 am

BillV wrote:
awesec wrote:You may check out tomato firmware which is quite good.

Bam! Thanks man! That just about did the trick... this one actually functions properly the way it should.

You are welcome, glad it helped. ;)

I can't remember on the segregate thing you ask for, but I am pretty sure that it is possible. When I have some time and no one else could help you in meantime, I will set it up again and play around with it. I think I have done something similar as you want, but can't remember it as it was some time ago.

Return to Hardware