EnCase are launching a new product called EnCase Portable. Its a USB Data gathering tool, so you basically plug and go. I havent seen it for myself yet but I assume its similar to the Microsoft Cofee offering to law enforcement, although the EnCase version wont be free. So plug the device into the machine (boot depending on the situation) and then select the information you need from the menu, and away goes the tool.
I have posted a little bit of information, with a video on my blog if you want a looksee.
EnCase Portable kit includes:
* 4GB USB drive with EnCase Portable preinstalled
* 16GB drive for additional storage
* 4 port USB hub
* EnCase Portable security key
* User guide
* EnCase Portable installation CD
* Carrying Case
* Plug in and collect data immediately
* Enable novice computer users to be data collectors in matter of minutes
* Acquire data anywhere with EnCase Portable’s pocket-sized kit
* Search and collect cyber-intelligence without leaving a trace
* Store collected data in the forensically sound, court-validated EnCase® Logical Evidence File format
* Capture data from running or powered-off systems
* Customize search and collection jobs to create and configure more complex search criteria
* Easily install EnCase Portable on any USB drive
I think this is a good thing, in that any old Tom, Dick or Harry in the field can be sent out to carry out data collection with little training, and no software experiance and then send back to the lab for the real work to be done.
I am sure people will be sceptical, and questions needs to be answered, but I think we will see similar offerings from other vendors in the future.