I can't see my computer from the Internet!

<<

Chococat

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:08 am

I can't see my computer from the Internet!

I'm a newb, obviously, and I'm taking my first steps into the world of hacking, but I'm stuck. I'm trying to break into my own computer from a friend's but I believe my ISP has some sort of firewall up that makes identifying it impossible.

I ping my computer, but the request always times out, even though I know the computer is up and running. I use traceroute, but after 10 hops, I get back asterisks instead of valid hostnames.

I can connect to the computer using Yahoo and AIM to do picture / file sharing, etc... and when I do a netstat while connected, I can get my comps ip address, but other than that I can't port scan, use nbtstat... nothing.

What can I do to bypass this? Any help would be most appreciated. :D

Thanks!
<<

Ignatius

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: I can't see my computer from the Internet!

How are you connected to the internet?  It's possible to configure an ADSL router not to respond to ICMP from the WAN port.
Last edited by Ignatius on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

venom77

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 pm

If you're on a residential connection, the traffic is probably filtered (at either or both ends).
<<

Chococat

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:09 pm

I don't have any firewall on my pc. Neither hardware or software. When I do a traceroute, it stops responding with hostnames well before the final hop. I was hoping someone had an idea of how I could connect to it, because nothing seems to work.
<<

former33t

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:01 pm

What Bill means is that traffic of this type is filtered by the ISP at one or both ends if you have a residential account.  ISP's do this for the type of reason you point out (not running a firewall).  If they didn't do this, your computer would be owned by someone else within hours of being connected to the Internet.  Its just the world we live in.  If this is legal (i.e. really your computer) and you want to break in, you probably need to do it from the inside (ignoring all the ways you could do it with malicious web attacks).  Configure an executable payload to call to your friend's IP on a port you know you can connect to.  There are plenty of tutorials on doing this with metasploit.

Good luck and don't do anything illegal.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 am

Not trying to take away from your eagerness to learn, and get external ownage, but as many have mentioned already you are dealing with unknowns. Your friends connection, his ISP and your ISP (assuming different), the filtering controls they employ, so on and so on.

I would recommend you practice at a local level with virtual machines and live CDs. Get the basics under your belt, and then take it from there.
Many of us have virtual labs at home that we use for testing, education, etc. They really are worth the time in setting up, and its fairly simple to.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:23 pm

nmap -PN 1.2.3.4
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:39 am

dalepearson wrote:Not trying to take away from your eagerness to learn, and get external ownage, but as many have mentioned already you are dealing with unknowns. Your friends connection, his ISP and your ISP (assuming different), the filtering controls they employ, so on and so on.

I would recommend you practice at a local level with virtual machines and live CDs. Get the basics under your belt, and then take it from there.
Many of us have virtual labs at home that we use for testing, education, etc. They really are worth the time in setting up, and its fairly simple to.

I would second that, especially if someone is new to all this. Even a skilled and experienced pentester may cause some unwanted or unexpected behaviour.
If you are already two people or even more, it would be a good idea to group together and practice in a secure environment.

As indicated, it is not known which is inbetween of your connections and you can't know for sure with what you are dealing with.

However, did you try if you could get a connection with VNC?
<<

putosusio

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Get a second pc and hack from your own network.

You'll learn more and you won't take the chance of getting in any trouble.

One more question, what type of computer background do you have?
Its not the fixing that's the hard part, its knowing what needs fixing.

Return to Tutorials