New kismet? Anyone tried it?

<<

Otter

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 am

New kismet? Anyone tried it?

Curious if anyone's jumped on the new kismet yet.  One thing I'm lookin for is a relatively easy path to annotated google maps of a site...  Not sure if it's in there or not? 

If not, anyone invented this wheel to convert .gps to something google maps would like?  I haven't looked into the google maps api at all so this may be trivial, but any info would be useful.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: New kismet? Anyone tried it?

Otter,

haven't tried the new Kismet yet, currently on my to-try list.

More specific to the .gps mapping stuff; I've spent a fair amount of time looking for something similar with limited success to the point I've started looking at parsing the output file and generating the map myself (currently torn between using google maps api, or creating a google earth file).

I'll let you know when/if I manage to get anything usable, but can't make any promises at present due to current workload issues. If you manage to find anything workable, or beat me to the punch let me know.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:28 am

Otter,

take a look at this script. It is written to parse the Kismet log file and generate a Google Earth .kml file with the found APs. I haven't been able to get the script to work in it's entirety; Google Earth complains about the file format, could be a version issue or something unique to my data set so you may have more luck.

However, it has provided an excellent framework to kick start my own utility, with which I had basic success last night. Hopefully I should have a basic solution generating static maps before the end of the week, before moving to interactive maps and potentially taken a fresh look at the .kml file format.

Hope this helps, I'll shout when I have anything useful available for distribution.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

Just completed and released a very early PoC of my mapping script.

You can get full details here:
http://infosanity.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... c-poc.html

Or a direct download here for the impatient:
http://www.infosanity.co.uk/resources/s ... ic-0_1b.py

Hope this is of some use to you (and others) let me know how you find it, or if you'd like to see additional functionality or information.
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Looks like your getting some good results there Andrew.
I will keep checking back on your blog for updates, I am interested in the GPS unit you are using.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:31 pm

dalepearson wrote:I will keep checking back on your blog for updates, I am interested in the GPS unit you are using.

Your wish is my command ;) Blog posting at Infosanity

As mentioned in another thread I'm use the Globesat BU-353. No concerns after resolving an initial compatibility issue, data collection is hassle-free and appears to be very accurate (at least to a novice with GPS).
<<

dalepearson

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm

and the magnetic omni antenna? :D
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:05 am

Magnetic aerial from same supplier I got my Alfa through.

No complaints with any of the kit so far, been a good purchase.
<<

dalepearson

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Sorry I just realised that I took this thread off topic a little, so sorry for that.

I have fired up the new version of kismet and I have to say for now I prefer the old. I seem to have some issues with it locking up, so not as usable right now. However it does seem to have some GPS support that could be handy, but as its all new I dont find the interface as usable.

Sure with time it will become a favourite :)

Return to Wireless