with which certification should I start?

<<

Pacochan

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 pm

with which certification should I start?

Hi All!

I'm Pasquale, from Italy. I'm sorry for my english... hope to not be so bad!!!

I have worked in several fields of IT as a system engineer, network administrator, C/C++ programmer.
My "forma mentis" is well oriented to security and i have always tried to apply, what I knew or studied, to my work.
I'm graduated in "system and network security" and I have a certification in "security management".

Actually, i would like to study for a certification that could give me the possibility to introduce me better in the field of network security... in other words: i would like to work in the network security, but a lot of companies look for certifications...

I had a little experience in "penetration testing" and i would have liked to start with the GPEN from SANS or CEH from eccouncil.

first question: which one is more...mmmm.... known according to you? Maybe in the future I will do both, but I have to chose one for now! :)

The second question is: is there a way to study it without following the live trainings? For GPEN I think there is any problem cause there are the online courses. And for CEH? I sent an email to them, but they "answered without answering to my questions", inviting me to follow their live training...............

I read, somewhere in this forum, that there are some trainers from SANS.
Could u please give me some advise?

Thank you all!
I wait for your suggestions! :)

Ciao,
Pasquale
OSCP
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 am

Re: with which certification should I start?

Hi and welcome.

As I haven't done them myself I can only tell what I have heard from others. I would say it doesn't matter that much if you take the SANS or CEH exams. You will certainly learn from both much, so if possible I would do each. However, CEH may be a little bit easier and gives you a good "overview" about pentesting while SANS may be a little bit more in-depth but therefore covers not that much different things.
So if you have the possibility I would start with CEH and then do the SANS (you may consider that there are some other excellent certificates available too, such as th offensive security ones).

As far as I know you can do both exams without doing the live trainings, so if you like self-study or have already experience and knowledge in that area you could save money. However, although you have already the requirements needed to pass the exams you still may learn some new things in those courses.
Last edited by UNIX on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pacochan

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:08 am

thank you!
Unfortunatly, E-Council help desk didn't help me much in findind a solution.
They just replied inviting me following their live training. But that was the point: I can't follow a live trainint. That's why i was more oriented on GPEN, cause at least it is sure that I can follow an online course...
But in these case, i would like to know how much it is and if there are official papers on which I can follow the program of the exam.
But i had any answer from them... 
OSCP
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 am

As you wrote in your first post that your email was answered without answering you actual questions it may be an idea to send another email and ask again.
Maybe BillV, who is in the committee, can help you when he is checking the forums. ;)
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:54 am

Certainly :)

First, you can do both by self-study if that's your preferred method of learning.

If you choose to do self-study for the GPEN exam, you'll want to follow the information published in the certification bulletin. This will give you an outline of what is on the exam. If you opt for self-study, the cost of the exam (called a "challenge" since you aren't taking the course) is $899 USD.

You can also do the CEH by self-study and EC-Council has published the course outline on their website for you to follow. Do not get intimidated by the large amount of modules, only the first 26 (still a lot) are covered by the exam. It'd be a good idea to check out the Official Review Guide to get a good feel for what's covered. I believe the cost of the exam is $250USD.

GPEN Certification Bulletin: Here

CEH Course Outline: Here

Hope that answers your questions.

BillV
<<

Pacochan

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am

Great! Thank you all for the precious answers!!!
I appriciate it so much.

Now everything is more clear!
I will read carefully both bullettins.
If I will still have some few questions, I will surely ask u beffore taking my final decision!
OSCP
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 am

You're welcome. And welcome to the site, btw.

Also, two pretty important things I forgot to mention for the GPEN, if you decide to sign-up for the challenge:

1) You receive 2 practice tests. This allows you to get a good feel for what's on the actual exam and to also help you pinpoint where you need to focus your study efforts.

2) The exam is open book, open note. So if create some good notes or even want to take a book with you into the exam, you're allowed (whatever you can fit, that's not electronic, into a backpack).

Good luck!

BillV
<<

Pacochan

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 am

About the self-study solution, it could be great but CEH wants u have at least 2 years of working experience in the security field ( so it is better I follow their courses to have their certification ) and for GPEN, as you said, there is any official book, so maybe should be better to follow their course to know at least the program of the exam...

so my question is: Do you know if they both have a service of training online? If not, is there any other GOOD and KNOWN certification that has an online training?

thanks!!!
OSCP
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 am

They both offer online courses. Check out SANS' OnDemand or @Home/vLive options. And check out the EC-Council iClass option.
<<

Pacochan

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes I saw something about it.
Anyway, I also sent them another email and I'm waiting for their answers.
OSCP
<<

Xen

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 am

As BillV answered SANS provides online courses via Ondemand and @Home/vLive option. If you are interested in self study you could go the SANS' SelfStudy way.

From SANS' website
"Students in the Self Study Program receive:

* SANS printed course books and CD (CD not applicable to certain courses)
    * Two GIAC Practice Tests for each exam required for certification (GIAC Certification students only)
    * Four-month online access to MP3 files of the course taught by the world's best instructors"

You could check the following links for more information:
http://www.sans.org/ondemand/

http://www.sans.org/athome/

http://www.sans.org/selfstudy/

Return to General Certification